Sunday, June 16, 2019

This Week in Reading - June 16

It's Sunday Post time!  This is hosted by the awesome Caffeinated Book Reviewer and gives us all a chance to recap our week.

What I Got:


Another week of nothing!  Or at least I think it's nothing.  This week has been both super short and a million years long so my memory is kind of fuzzy.  I do feel a bit of a binge coming on though.

Currently:

Reading:  Pieces of Her by Karin Slaughter and Summer by the Tides by Denise Hunter

Listening:  I finished Meet Me at the Cupcake Cafe by Jenny Colgan (loved it) and Doom With a View by Kate Kingsbury (an enjoyable mystery but not a favorite) and am now listening to A Study in Scarlet by Arthur Conan Doyle

Watching:  Pretty much nothing.  I don't think I sat down long enough to watch more than 5 minutes of anything.

Off the Blog:

I don't think I've ever mentioned that we have a rental house.  Back in 2009, right before the Tornado was born, this house we had driven by hundreds of times and absolutely loved went on the market and we jumped at it.  Unfortunately 2009 wasn't the best time to sell a house so we decided to turn the house we were living in into a rental.  We still haven't decided if that was a good idea!  Most of the time it's out of sight out of mind but our long term tenants moved out at the beginning of the month and we've been scrambling to get it ready to be rented out.  Right now we are drowning in to do lists, contractor quotes and paint.  So much paint.  The whole house has to be repainted and the original color I picked which looked like a nice cream with a little bit of coffee ended up going on mauve.  Luckily we were able to pull the plug on that pretty quickly and picked out a not so pink cream with a little coffee before we lost too much work time.  But between all the house stuff, regular stuff, physical therapy, and the meds I'm taking for my neck I'm flat out exhausted!  My reading has definitely taken a hit but I'm making up a bit for it in audio books. 

On the Blog:

What Happened:

What's Coming Up:

Monday: One Minute Later - Fiction Review
Tuesday:  Top Ten Tuesday - Most Anticipated Releases for the Second Part of 2019
Wednesday:  Pieces of Her - Mystery Review
Thursday:  Summer by the Tides - Fiction Review
Friday:  Friday Fives
Saturday:  Spring Favorites

Have a great week and happy reading!

20 comments:

  1. I had a friend who had a rental property and it was sooo much work getting it ready for new tenants! Good luck with all the painting and whatnot! I've read a few of Kate Kingsbury's Hotel Pennyfoot mysteries and really liked them, but she's moved on from that series- I kinda miss it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds like a lot of work for the rental property! I have enough to do keeping my own house up to scratch so I don't envy you the extra work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Katherine. I enjoyed the Karin Slaughter, as I do all of hers except one which was over the top graphic violence for me to stomach.

    I hear you about fixing up a house-- at least yours sounds like a nice one that just needs a facelift. Our house is so old it's almost laughable-- from 1800-- and every day is an adventure to discover what else will be added to the to-do list )

    Enjoy the rest of your weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know some people with rental houses and have heard all the horror stories! Hope you get things back to looking good soon and find a good renter.

    Have a great week and happy reading!
    Stormi
    Week in Review

    ReplyDelete
  5. I totally feel you because we are currently doing that at my house but the people left it a disaster and my dad has to put out so much money to fix what she did. My dad owned an apartment house and my grandfather told him if it because to much sell it. So he did.

    I hope you have a great week, Katherine! Happy Reading!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Phew, I got tired out just reading this post. I hope things calm down soon! I hope your therapy is going well, too. Have a wonderful new week. 🌞

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just reading about fixing your house up makes me feel exhausted. I hope you do push it through and get it done. Have a great week ahead.

    Gayathri @ Elgee Writes

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think a rental house is a bit scary but if you have good tenants then not so much. Good you could the paint early. Life does sound very busy, so far this month I have an empty review shelf of new additions and I hope to keep it that way. I do not want a wave of sudden "click finger".

    ReplyDelete
  9. I haven't written a Sunday Post this week but thought I'd still visit some friendly bloggers ;-)

    I gotta say, purple is my favourite colour but I suppose a mauve house might not attact the numbers of potential renters that you're looking for. ;-)

    I hope you have a great week and enjoy your reads (in whatever format), Katherine. x

    Flora.
    @Flora's Musings...

    ReplyDelete
  10. We recently moved into a house that is 1/3 our old house and it cost a little over $1,500.00 to paint just the inside. I couldn't believe it cost that much. Now we're planning on painting the outside because I don't like the color, it's a light green :(

    I'm not doing much print reading but am doing pretty good with audios. I'm so behind on books and reviews it's sad.

    Hope your neck problems are gone soon.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I never rented a house before. Don't know if I could though.

    Here’s my Sunday Post!

    Ronyell @ Rabbit Ears Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
  12. Aw man this week sounds super exhausting on your end. That's interesting about the house! I hope you guys get all done soon!
    Genesis @ Whispering Chapters

    ReplyDelete
  13. I enjoy Karin Slaughter...and I want to read more Colgan books. Enjoy your week.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have a friend who lived here in NC, but rented out her home in Florida. The first year was fine, but once the guy got a girlfriend, it turned into a nightmare because she started making changes in the house that cost her thousands to repair, repaint and redecorate 5 years later. Then she closed and sold her business here, rented her house here in NC, then moved to Florida in the rental house.(lol) She said it was stressful, but she loves living in Florida a lot more. So I can imagine what you must be going through, but the color you chose sure sounds wonderful. I hope your neck feels better soon. I wanted to thank you, because you mentioned doing yoga video YouTube, and I've been finding all kinds of videos for aerobics and arms. I even found my used to be go to best exercise video of all time - Jane Fonda from 1982!(lol) Hugs, RO

    ReplyDelete
  15. Our house really needs a repaint, we have yellowy cream walls that I’ve never liked much.

    Have a great reading week,

    ReplyDelete
  16. After moving last year, I could live happily without ever seeing a tin of paint again! Between the new house and our old rental I was constantly covered in little paint flecks... I wish you luck!

    ReplyDelete
  17. It was great that you caught the paint error quickly. Good luck with getting the house in order. And audibles are wonderful when you have to be doing something and can't sit down to read.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I really have to read more Jenny Colgan books. They all look wonderful. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Being a landlord is so fun, isn't it? LOL. We have a couple rental houses and an office building and it seems like there is always something going on with one or the other of them. If it's not an air conditioning unit going out, it's a leak somewhere or tenants not paying rent or an appliance that needs to be replaced or a senior citizen crashing into the building (that happened) or or or ... the list goes on! Hopefully, you can get the house all done and rented so you can rest a little :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. There are so many pros and cons having rental property. Kudos to you on having the patience to maintain one.

    ReplyDelete