Monday, June 3, 2019

Reviews from the Children's Section - Chitty Chitty Bang Bang and the Race Against Time

One of my favorite genres and one that is the easiest for me to push aside is middle grade fiction. This year to make sure I get a little more children's and young adult fiction I thought I would designate the first Monday of every month Middle Grade Monday (though sometimes it doesn't end up working quite right) .  While a lot of my picks this year are classics I am trying to branch out a little bit and read new or at least recent releases.  This month's book is the third in one of my favorite series - Chitty Chitty Bang Bang and the Race Against Time by Frank Cottrell Boyce

This is the third book in the Chitty Chitty Bang Bang series started by Ian Fleming and it is absolutely bonkers in the best possible of ways.  I'm not sure Ian Fleming would recognize his rather straight forward adventure story for kids in this crazy romp that starts with dinosaurs and winds through all kinds of hijinks, craziness and lots and lots of action.  I'm not sure what Fleming would have thought of the dinosaurs but I suspect he would have approved of the madcap race through time.  

There are some questions answered here and the Tooting family starts and ends in quite a predicament though this time they're on the hunt for the Potts family.  The adventures are thoroughly unrealistic and completely fun and I thoroughly enjoyed listening to it.  David Tennant (who I have made no secret is one of my favorite MG narrators) has narrated the entire series and is absolutely beyond fantastic here.  He seems like he is enjoying the narrating as much as the reader is enjoying listening to it.  

I absolutely loved listening to this and am encouraging my 9 year old to read/listen to it as well.  While there is a lot of action and the Tooting family finds themselves in tight spots I don't think there is anything that even the most sensitive child would have issues with.  I think this would be a great audio for a road trip as I think all ages would thoroughly enjoy it.




4 comments:

  1. This sounds like a fun read, and glad you enjoyed it. I've never read any of the books, but the movie was pretty amazing! Hugs...

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds so fun, and Tennant narrating as well- awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I bet my daughter would love these!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't read the first one! I'll need to take care of that soon. 👍✨

    ReplyDelete