Friday, December 29, 2017

My Favorite New to Me Cozy Mysteries of 2017


I've always been a fan of cozy mysteries but 2017 has definitely been the Year of the Cozy for me.  I've found so many that I absolutely loved and series that I'm really excited to continue.  Here are 10 of my favorites from 2017.

1.  Assault and Buttery by Kristi Abbott - This was on my TBR for ages but when I was offered the 3rd book in the series I couldn't help plunging in right away.  It didn't hurt that this one involved a diary found hidden in a wall and a decades old missing persons case.  I loved the town, the main character and the writing style and this is definitely a series I'll continue with.  I'm glad I've got the first two to read while I wait for #4.

2.  Death Overdue by Allison Brook - This is the first in a series and one with a ridiculous potential.  I mean there's a haunted library!  Do I need to say more?  This is another main character I really liked and a series I'm looking forward to continuing with.

3.  A Fatal Collection by Mary Ellen Hughes - This is murder in a music box shop set in a town that specialized in shops that focus on collectibles.  The only bad thing I can say about this one is that it makes me want to start collecting music boxes and I'm kind of out of space for any more collections!

4.  A Murder for the Books by Victoria Gilbert - This another new series and another one with a librarian main character.  I can never resist a mystery featuring a librarian!  I loved that Amy actually does and enjoys research.  I adored this one and am so excited to see what happens.

5.  Death at the Emerald by R.J. Koreto - I love a historical mystery but I find them hit or miss.  This one was all hit.  I loved Lady Frances Ffolkes and the whole world that Koreto has created for her.  I'm looking forward to catching up on the earlier books in the series while I wait for the next book!

6.  Booked 4 Murder by J.C. Eaton - This cozy series set in an Arizona retirement community started off strong with a cursed book and the 2nd was just as good.  The characters are quirky but not silly and it love a cozy featuring a PI.

7.  Occult and Battery by Lena Gregory - I couldn't resist this cozy featuring a fake psychic in Key West and I'm so glad I didn't!   The 2nd book was fantastic and I'm looking forward to reading the 1st while I'm waiting for the 3rd.

8.  Honey-Baked Homicide by Gayle Leeson - Do not read this cozy mystery series set in a cafe in small town Virginia on an empty stomach!  The food descriptions had my mouth watering and the entertaining mystery kept me turning pages.

9.  Seeds of Revenge by Wendy Tyson - I had read a book in another series by Tyson and really liked it but was surprised with just how much I had enjoyed this book set around a farm/cafe. 

10. A Crime of Poison by Nancy Haddock - I love a good community in a cozy mystery and with the Silver Six this one had it in spades.  I loved the main character's pets and her relationship with boyfriend/detective.  This is another one I'm looking forward to catching up on while I wait for the next one.

Any cozies you fell in love with this year?

13 comments:

  1. Glad you had so many you loved this year! I need to read more cozies. When I do read them I enjoy them a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A Murder for the Books sounds great. I seem to be drawn towards the cozies that involve libraries or bookstores or restaurants - lol. Guess that means my priorities are books and food! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a good list. I don't read many cozies but I do like a murder mystery.
    Hey, I wanted to ask you if you've ever eaten at May's in Tylertown? Good food!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't had the chance to read any of these, but I always enjoy reading your reviews. I am excited about seeing the new Aurora Teagarden Mystery on Hallmark Movies and Mysteries this weekend though. Happy Friday! Hugs...RO

    ReplyDelete
  5. May you find many lovely cozies in the New Year! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Cozy Queen! Looks like lots of great ones from 2017. I am enjoying Books Can Be Deceiving by Jenn McKinley.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You've introduced us to so many new cozies!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've read two on your list, and agree they were a lot of fun. Several others are on my TBR pile. At some point I will find the time to read them.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love mystery/thrillers, but so many of the ones I read are too grim and gruesome. I think I need more cozies in my life! Thanks for this list. I'm absolutely going to try some of these out this year.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love all the great cozy mysteries that you find. I hadn't read any for a while but did fit in a few in 2017. I always enjoy your recommendations.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I didn't read nearly as many cozies as you did, but I did read more than I have in a while. They just really struck the right chord with me this year. You've given me lots of books to add to my wish list! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You read a lot of cozies this year! I'm glad you found so many to love. I agree that the Allison Brook series is fun; I'm looking forward to the next one. And I still want to read A Murder for the Books when I can find the time! Right now I'm in the middle of Bloodstains with Bronte, book 2 in the Crime with the Classics series by Katherine Bolger Hyde, and I'll definitely be going back to read book 1.

    ReplyDelete
  13. After I finished counting for stats, I wrote down series I had to continue in 2018. Most are cozies and I swear you are my enabler! The ones I liked this year are of A Greenhouse Mystery, A Booktown Mystery, A County Cork Mystery, A Potting Shed Mystery, and Southern Sewing Circle.

    ReplyDelete