Friday, December 15, 2017

Friday Linkups - A Christmas Carol















It's Friday linkup time!  I'm linking up with the Book Blogger Hop hosted by Coffee Addicted Writer, Book Beginnings of Fridays hosted by Rose City Reader, and the Friday 56 hosted by Freda's Voice

This Week's Book Blogger Hop Question:
Which book(s) would you like Santa to bring you this year?

My Answer:
Oh this is a hard one!  Can I answer all of them?  I've been working on my Top Ten Tuesday list on this same topic and it's taken forever to narrow it down to just 10!

This week's book is one I'm only reading for the first time though I've seen it in play and movie forms many many times - A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens.  Dickens and I had a falling out back when Great Expectations was required reading in high school.  I hated the book and Pip and just about everything about it (except Miss Havisham's house) and swore off reading Dickens forever.  Not too long ago I decided that my reading tastes had probably changed in 20 years and it was time to give Dickens another try.  Turns out I still hated Pip but I did like Dickens' writing so I decided it was time to try A Christmas Carol!

The Beginning:
Marley was dead: to begin with.  There is no doubt whatever about that.

My Thoughts:
Well that's rather grim!  I do like that the first page is taken up entirely with explaining that Marley is most certainly dead and that Scrooge is well aware of this fact.

The 56:
For he wished to challenge the Spirit on the moment of its appearance, and did not wish to be taken by surprise and made nervous.

My Thoughts:
Considering he'd just woken up from a sound sleep I think Scrooge is pretty collected!

So what do you think?  Have you read this one?  What would you like Santa to leave under your tree?

20 comments:

  1. I'm listening to the audio of this now, and am enjoying it. I've seen the movie many times but this is my first time with the book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh man I have so many books I would love to get for Christmas - or some good gift cards :) Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OH.MY.WORD. Katherine, I am convinced that we were separated at birth..... You need to have a look at my Friday Meets: http://marelithalkink.blogspot.co.za/2017/12/FridayMeets15Dec.html

    We have way to many things in common. Feel like visiting South Africa???!! It's warm and sunny here at the moment.

    BUT I've actually always had a good relationship with Dickens. Maybe because he wasn't forced down my throat in school (see many, many good things in SA).

    Regarding the Read Together for Murder on the Orient Express, I am reading it at the moment and I will draft my review as soon as I've seen the movie (won't go next week, maybe week after that?) So there is plenty of time. But would love to do it with you!

    Enjoy your weekend and don't let the ghosts bother you too much.

    xoxoxox

    ReplyDelete
  4. Katherine, I have never read it or listened to the audio but I have seen many versions of the movie. I love the Patrick Stewart version and have been wanting to get Alistar Simms version. Our library doesn't have it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very timely story. I don't want anyone to give me a book for Christmas. If I want it, I've already bought it or ordered it. And I have literally thousands on my shelves and Kindle already to read. This week I'm reading Crimson Death by Laurell K. Hamilton from my TBR mountain. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My experience with Dickens has been sort of the reverse. I read and enjoyed his books when I was pretty young, but haven't looked at them in years. Glad you discovered you like his writing.

    About the book you want Santa to bring: The problem with Book Beginnings is that it's hard not to find more to add to the list. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've also seen a lot of the movie adaptations for A Christmas Carol but haven't read the book yet.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Books, books, and more books.

    I want them all too. :)

    Love the Dickens blurb...thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You know, I have the audio of A Christmas Carol narrated by Tim Curry. I should see if I have time to listen to it before Christmas. I haven't read it either!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've never read A Christmas Carol, but I'd like to get to it someday. Happy Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am embarrassed that I have not read this one. I am not sure why, as apparently it was not required reading at my high school.

    Thanks for sharing...hope you enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have never read this story, amazingly enough.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've never read A Christmas Carol but I would like to. It's such a classic that it seems a shame not to even attempt it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have never read A Christmas Carol. For some reason, I have never read a Christmas book at all. I hope you get your wish!

    ReplyDelete
  15. One of my favorite Dickens novels. He can be wordy, but I love his work. A book for Christmas...hmm, I think a signed book by one of my favorite authors would be awesome. Anne Bishop, Jayne Ann Krentz, Stephen King

    ReplyDelete
  16. Fantastic choice for this time of year! Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yes, I read it in December 2016 and intend to see if there is a free or cheap audiobook, or added Kindle narration and "re-read" it again this year. I might make it an annual thing. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I tried giving Great Expectations another try a couple years ago and I just couldn't. I've never read A Christmas Carol, though.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love A Christmas Carol! Hope you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  20. LOL it was hard to narrow down on books from Santa. Goodness! (I like the want em all idea)

    ReplyDelete