Tuesday, November 21, 2017

Top Ten Tuesday - Ten Books I'm Thankful For

This week's Top Ten Tuesday topic from The Broke and the Bookish is Ten Books You're Thankful For.  I tried to pick 10 books that changed my reading experience in some way!


1.  Baby's Birthday by Patricia Mowers and Illustrated by Eloise Wilkins - I think this was my really my first favorite book.  I adored it and requested it to be read to me for YEARS.  My parents haven't spoken to each other in probably a decade but the instant the title of this book is mentioned to either of them they immediately say in a very sing song voice "Wake up baby!  It's your special day!"

2.  The Secret of the Old Clock by Carolyn Keene - Nancy Drew introduced me both to mysteries and really big series and I'm still a fan of both!

3. The Secret Adversaries by Agatha Christie - When I first discovered Agatha Christie I was a bit meh about her.  Some of her mysteries seemed a bit dry.  But then I discovered this first book in the Tommy and Tuppence series and fell completely in love.  This series is probably my least favorite now but it was what really pulled me to Agatha Christie.

4.  Devil's Bride by Stephanie Laurens - I was probably in my early 20s when I started reading romances.  I had resisted the genre for years but when I started reading this one I was completely pulled in and became hooked on the genre.  I reread it a few years ago and wasn't really impressed with it but at the time I was enthralled.

5.  Simply Irresistible by Jill Shalvis - While I had discovered the romance genre through the above book I was almost exclusively a historical romance reader.  I read Nora Roberts contemporaries but that was about it.  Shalvis was the first small town romance authors I tried and I've been hooked ever since!

6.  The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett - I had only read Middle Grade fiction that my children were reading for years but when I first got my Kindle I was browsing the free books and came across this childhood favorite.  I didn't go in with high hopes as not all books are equally enjoyable for adults as they are to children but I ended up loving it.  It was a big push to get me back to reading Middle Grade.

7.  The Shell Seekers by Rosamunde Pilcher - I adored this book.  I read it so many times that my original copy fell apart and then my replacement copy fell apart too.  I loved Penelope and life on the homefront during WWII and the way the story was told in almost a series of vignettes.  This book doesn't have quite the same effect on me that it used to but I love it still.

8.  The Hiding Place by Corrie Ten Boom - A friend of mine handed me this book and said I had to read it.  I let it sit on the shelf for ages because it didn't really appeal to me but when I started I found it an incredible story and heartbreakingly sad but so full of hope as well.  It's a good book to read when I need a perspective tune up.

9.  84 Charing Cross Road by Helene Hanff - I think this was the first book that got me really thinking of the books themselves and not just the stories.  I would love to see some of the editions she talks about.

10. Don't Let the Pigeon Stay Up Late by Mo Willems - I'm thankful to this book because of the Tornado.  He had no trouble learning to read but his interest just wasn't very high.  That is until he discovered Mo Willems.  His favorite is really the Gerald and Piggie books but this was the first Willems book we checked out of the library so I'll always have a bit of a soft spot for it.

What books are you thankful for?

30 comments:

  1. Yay for Secret of the Old Clock! I still have a soft spot for the Nancy Drew and related mysteries. And as for the Agatha Christie's- isn't it funny how certain books pull us into an author and then later they're not even our favorites? I've been that way with a few authors too.

    Happy Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh me too! I adore all the Nancy Drew covers! It is funny how our preferences change with time with books. I'm not sure if its perspective or change in age or a bit of both.

      Delete
  2. As a kid, I was heavily into romance reading like Barbara Cartland, Rosemary Rogers and Kathleen Woodiwiss, and I gravitated towards historicals, then I started branching out into contemporary and the floodgates opened. (lol) One book that really stands out in my mind way back then, was The Godfather, which I read several times. Now, it's not even on my bookcase. (lol) But I wonder if I should just grab it and keep for the memories. Happy Tuesday! Hugs...RO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really didn't realize The Godfather was a book until recently! I'd like to read it one day. It is funny how our favorites kind of drift away sometimes.

      Delete
  3. Loved how did this!! Agatha Christie was someone I read a lot when I was young and need to do rereads. I liked Nancy Drew too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I enjoy Agatha Christie more now as an adult though I loved her when I was younger!

      Delete
  4. Nancy Drew is one I should have had on my list. It is probably one of the books that got me really going with reading. I loved The Little Princess, but never read the Secret Garden. Great list!
    Check out my Top 10

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know it's funny - I've never read The Little Princess!

      Delete
  5. Now I feel the need to re-read The Shell Seekers by Rosamunde Pilcher, I ADORE that book. And it made me add Cornwall to my bucket travel list. Some day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm the same way about Cornwall! Definitely in my top ten.

      Delete
  6. The Shell Seekers is one of my favorites, absolutely. Did you ever read Coming Home by Pilcher? I think you would love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved Comng Home! It's been ages since I read it but I'd love to do a reread!

      Delete
  7. Some of them are new for me! But they sound interesting. And Woohoo for Simply Irresistible!!! That one was my first small town romance too! I LOVE LOVE that series and JS!
    Here's my TTT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right! The whole Lucky Harbor series is a favorite but I have a bit of a soft spot for Simply Irresistible!

      Delete
  8. Great list! I loved Devil's Bride when I read it years ago. I hope to re-read it with better luck than you had.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you enjoy it more than me. It wasn't unreadable but I definitely wasn't as in love with it as I was the first time around.

      Delete
  9. I just finished The Hiding Place a few months ago and it is definitely a story from the past to be thankful for!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great list. I see many of Rosamunde Pilcher books are coming to Audible and I intend rereading them when they do. How interesting about the two books that led you to romance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh that sounds awesome! I listened to one book ages ago when it was still an actual book on tape and it was amazing.

      Delete
  11. Great list! Anything by Agatha Christie and Jill Shalvis is a winner to me.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yay for Secret of the Old Clock! I loved the Nancy Drew mysteries growing-up and they have a special place in my heart because both my mom and I both read them growing-up. They're something I'm looking forward to passing along to my kids someday :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's wonderful! I can see why Nancy Drew would be so special!

      Delete
  13. Thanks for sharing, this list. I can see how personal these books to you. I loved reading the reasons behind each of them. Oh, and I need to check out Simply Irresistible by Jill Shalvis. I love small town romance! 😁❤️❤️❤️

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love your list, Katherine:). Thank you for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great list! I had Nancy Drew on mine too. I devoured those books as a kid. I own the whole set. When I was little, I used to go around looking for clues. I am not sure what the mystery was lol!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love the Baby's Birthday backstory and the Don't Let the Pigeon Stay Up Late anecdote. The Secret Garden was a favorite of mine, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I've read over half of these, and some occupy a special place in my heart as well: The Secret Garden, The Secret Adversary, Nancy Drew in general, The Shell Seekers, and Devil's Bride (for much the same reason: though it wasn't my first historical romance, it was one of them.) I love your reasons why, particularly for Baby's Birthday.

    I need to read 84 Charing Cross Road. I loved the movie!

    ReplyDelete