Sunday, June 22, 2014

Sunday Showcase and Post - June 22nd












Sunday means it's I'm linking up with Books, Biscuits and Tea for the Sunday Showcase and Caffeinated Book Reviewer for Sunday Post.  I'm pretty much caught up from being out of town last week and we're getting back into the summer routine. 

What I Got:

NetGalley:

My Secret Life in Hut Six: One Woman's Experience at Bletchley Park by Mair and Gethin Russell Jones - I've been fascinated by Bletchley Park since I first heard about it ages ago.  Movies like Enigma and tv shows like Bletchley Circle haven't dimmed the fascination so I'm really looking forward to reading this title.

Better Homes and Hauntings by Molly Harper - a landscaper, a private island with a faded-glory style mansion and ghosts make this look like a fun read!

How the Scoundrel Seduces by Sabrina Jeffries - I really loved the last book in this series and jumped at the chance to read this book.

Mademoiselle: Coco Chanel and the Pulse of History by Rhonda K. Garelick -  it's a biography about Coco Chanel.  There's really nothing else to be said.  How could I pass that one up!

Louise's Blunder by Sarah R. Shaber -  I've enjoyed other books from this author so I'm really looking forward to a 1940s spy thriller set in D.C.

Meet Me in Barcelona by Mary Carter - Barcelona, people with secrets.  This looks like it has potential.

Queen of Hearts Volume 2 - I really enjoyed the first volume of this prequel to Alice in Wonderland and am looking forward to reading more of the stories.

Oliver and the Seawigs by Phillip Reeve and Illustrated by Sarah McIntyre - a fun looking children's book.

Other:

Something Borrowed, Something Bleu by Cricket McRae -  I have like 4 of this series and I have yet to read any of them.  I should really give it a try.

Victorian House: Domestic Life from Childbirth to Deathbed by Judith Flanders - I saw this mentioned in a review of Bill Bryson's At Home.  

I've also finally discovered how to get audiobooks from my library on my iPhone so I'm sure I'll end up with a few audiobooks through overdrive.  Now I just have to see if I can really listen to them.  I have my fingers crossed!  Any recommendations for audiobooks that aren't to be missed?

COYER Challenge:

I'm really excited about COYER starting yesterday.  I know a lot of people are making lists of the books they plan to take care of and I tossed that idea around as well.  But I kind of already have a list between review books, books I've pulled for TBR lists and books on hold at the library.  I think instead of a list of books to get through I'm going to focus on adding extra time in my day to read.  I'd like to get an hour of reading done a day in addition to when I stay up too late reading at night.  I'm also planning to participate in at least 3 or 4 of the weekend read-a-thons.

On the Blog This Week:

Nora Robert's The Collector
My Summer TBR
An interesting YA read from Dana Reinhardt
My most recently read from one of my most favorite and reliable mystery authors
The Friday link ups - My favorite reading medium and some excerpts from Christie's They Came to Baghdad
And finally a look back at Spring favorites on the first day of summer

Coming Up:

Monday: A suspense novel with ghosts and romance
Tuesday: My top ten favorite/least favorite cover trends
Wednesday: The latest mystery from an old favorite who I hadn't read in awhile
Thursday: The latest romance from Julia Quinn
Friday: Blogger Hop question and excerpts from whatever I'm reading and I'm going to try to be different and NOT use a Christie!
Saturday: A serious throwback with a recently re-released Victoria Holt

Have a great week and happy reading!

50 comments:

  1. Enjoy your books! I have The Collector on Sparky...and want to read it soon!

    Here's MY WEEKLY SUNDAY/MONDAY UPDATES POST


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you enjoy it! I think it's my favorite of her more recent suspense books.

      Delete
  2. Great assortment of different kinds of reads, Katherine! I hope to get to The Collector one of these days. Enjoy your week and thanks for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I do tend to like a variety! The Collector was good and a pretty fast read. Hopefully you will enjoy it!

      Delete
  3. You got lots of great looking books this week, Katherine. I'm excited about COYER starting, too, Should be fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm excited about all of them. Now to get all of them read! I'm hoping for a productive challenge!

      Delete
  4. You got a lot from NetGalley this week! I noticed the Bletchley Park book and would have requested it if I weren't already overcommitted. Your Victorian House book also sounds intriguing.

    I like your approach to COYER Summer Vacation. I would love to find more time for reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Moderation isn't in my vocabulary when it comes to requesting books! It's a problem. I'm excited about Victorian House though it's probably going to be way to long before I actually get to reading it.

      Delete
  5. I love your assortment of books.

    I'm not doing lists for COYER either, I simply have too many books I have to read. I should see if I can make more time to read each day.

    Enjoy all your new lovelies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm really looking forward to reading them all!
      I started making a list for COYER and came to the same conclusion as you - too many books. My main goal is to just READ!

      Delete
  6. I'm jealous of your haul this week, I especially My Secret Life in Hut Six. it looks fantastic, but I hope you enjoy all of them. I'm not participating in COYER this time around but I wish you luck!
    Thanks for stopping by my Sunday Post!
    -Kimberly @ Turning the Pages

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm really excited about all of them even though it was a little mindboggling to write out the entire list! I'm really going to need to give up on sleep for a bit to get caught up!

      Delete
  7. Great list of books. Enjoy!

    Thanks for stopping by my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hope you enjoy your books. I read Harper's book and enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm looking forward to it! I haven't read any of hers but the premise looks interesting.

      Delete
  9. I'm new to blogging. Can you please explain COYER?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. COYER is a challenge hosted by Fantasy is More Fun and Because Reading is Better Than Real Life. Here's the signup for the summer challenge if you're interested - http://fantasyismorefun.com/2014/05/coyer-summer-vacation-sign-up-post.html

      Delete
  10. I'm excited about COYER and can't wait to get into it. I shall see you around for that one. Enjoy your week and thanks for stopping by my blog.
    Sharon @ Sharon's Book Nook!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh that Netgalley - it's dangerous for the TBR piles - especially invisible piles!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seriously! I'm having to avoid it for a little while because I went a smidge overboard!

      Delete
  12. Such an interesting variety of books. I took a break from Netgalley not too long ago, but recently gave in and got a couple of titles I'm very excited about. Enjoy the new books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really really need to take a break from Netgalley but have yet to be successful!

      Delete
  13. Thanks for stopping by my blog and have a great week!

    Kacii
    The Kooky Bookworm
    http://thekookybookworm.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm loving the new Sabrina Jeffries series! I can't wait for Tristan's story. Hope you enjoy all your new books and have an awesome week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read the 2nd book in the series and was really surprised about how much I enjoyed the book. I had kind of forgotten about her and now I'm getting to read through the backlog. I'm excited about the this one as well!

      Delete
  15. I hope you enjoy all your great books you got this week :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh you've got some really interesting books this week! :) I really hope you'll enjoy them all and that you'll find some interesting audiobooks :) Thanks for stopping by :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm looking forward to getting them read!

      Delete
  17. Nice haul this week! All of those books sound really interesting :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm excited about them. Hoping they all are as good as they look!

      Delete
  18. Nice haul, the titles don't seem familiar to me. So thank you for introducing me to new ones ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully you see some you like. I'm really looking forward to getting some reading done!

      Delete
  19. I love how you comment on each one of the books you grab! I need to get back to doing that - if I wasn't always putting my posts together Saturday night o.O

    I tried to do audio books from my library but it ended up being two huge files that I had to download. Overdrive didn't work. I'm pretty techie and even I couldn't figure out what I did wrong - and I work at the library!!! So sad... Have you checked out the SYNC freebies yet?

    Have a great week!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a last minute-er too! I keep thinking I'm going to work on this post throughout the week and then BAM it's Saturday! Not sure how that works!
      I got it to work though it took a bit but my library has MP3 options. The WMA files sounded much trickier. I definitely need to try out the SYNC freebies. So far I'm enjoying the one I'm listening to.

      Delete
  20. Nice haul, have a great reading week :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. I still don't get on with audio books. I do have an iPhone, but just don't seem to be able to concentrate when I 'just' listen to it, I seem to drift off.
    The Pegster Reads

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely can't just sit and listen or being doing something to involved. So far I've had good luck with listening while I'm putting my makeup or or putting up laundry or other mindless stuff. It's definitely a challenge to figure out what works with them.

      Delete
  22. Wow! You have a crazy week coming up! Good Luck with the Coyer challenge and readathons! Enjoy all your books :)

    Lindy@ A Bookish Escape

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really I just need to do nothing but read for the next week or so!

      Delete
  23. You got some great books and I'm impressed with how organized you are. It's great you made a TBR list for summer! I'm doing the COYER challenge too but not sure yet what I'll be reading. Enjoy your books and have a great week!! Thanks for visiting my blog =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! The summer TBR is more of a guideline so I'll probably won't be getting to them all. I have so many different series that I'm 3 or 4 books behind on that I need to catch up! My focus for COYER is definitely trying to get more time to read!

      Delete
  24. I love getting audio books from my library. I listen to them on my phone or tablet driving to work and running. It's great!
    I've had the first Queen of Hearts book for a while. It totally sounds interesting. I'm glad you liked it enough to continue.
    Happy reading!
    Brittany @ This is the Story of My(Reading) Life

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoyed the first Queen of Hearts. It wasn't a masterpiece but it's a fun story with an interesting premise. So far I've really been enjoying the audiobooks I've been listening too. Hopefully I'll be able to really add them into my day.

      Delete
  25. Ooo, I'm very intrigued by the Bletchley Park book!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Great book haul and I really hope you enjoy audios. I love them! :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. I started COYER early. I figured if I could break all the reading rules then one more wouldn't matter :)

    ReplyDelete