Friday, June 20, 2014

Friday Linkups! They Came to Baghdad













This Friday I'm participating in Book Blogger Hop hosted by Ramblings of a Coffee Addicted Writer, Book Beginnings hosted by Rose City Reader and the Friday 56 hosted by Freda's Voice.

First up is the Book Blogger Hop question:

"Do you prefer Nook, Kindle, other e-reader or paper book?"

My Answer:  This is actually something I've been thinking about lately.  I really can't stand cookbooks in e-book form.  I like having the actual book to flip through and tab and read from.  It just isn't the same in Kindle form.  I do a lot of my reading on my Kindle Paperwhite (which I love) partly because I read a lot of review books and also because it's just convenient just to carry that around and not multiple books but I always have at least 1 or 2 paper books going as well because there are situations that I don't want to take my Kindle into.  I think for the most part paper books and Kindle books are pretty interchangeable for me so I don't really have a strong preference.  I don't see myself switching exclusively to one or the other anytime soon though.

Today's book is an Agatha Christie and her first non-series book from the 1950s.  With this book we seem to be back to the early Agathas that are all about adventure and exotic places with beautiful young women with not much to lose, and adventurous spirit and quick on her feet.

The Beginning:
"Captain Crosbie came out of the bank with the pleased air of one who has cashed a cheque and has discovered that there is just a little more in his account than he thought there was."

And from page 56 of my falling apart 1980 edition:
"There was something of a calculated sensationalism about the late traveller.  He wore a kind of dark grey travelling cloak with a capacious hood at the back.  On his head was what was in essence a wide sombrero, but in light grey.  He had silver grey curling hair, worn rather long, and a beautiful silver grey moustache curling up at the ends.  The effect was that of a handsome stage bandit.  Victoria, who disliked theatrical men who posed, looked at him with disapproval."

So what do you think?  Interested? Intrigued? or bored?  What do you prefer to read on?

30 comments:

  1. I used to love Agatha Christie's books but I haven't read them in a long time. This reminds me of how good her books are.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are good. I always notice more details every time I reread one!

      Delete
  2. I am printed book fan, nothing better than a bookshelf full of books :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't disagree! I don't plan on getting rid of my bookshelves anytime soon!

      Delete
  3. I'd like to read this Agatha Christie novel. Till now I've only read a few from the Miss Marple series. Thanks for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should give a try! I love Miss Marple but some of her other books are fantastic as well!

      Delete
  4. I like the descriptive snippet of this theatrical man!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. They Came to Baghdad -- I recall that as being a bit of a spy novel as well as a mystery (and a lot of fun!) As for print vs. Kindle, I find myself leaning more toward Kindle than mass-market paperbacks, in part because I can vary the font size (my eyesight is getting worse, so that's helpful) and in part because ebooks don't take up any room, either in my suitcase or on my already-crowded bookshelves. I still want print books of my very favorite authors, though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the book! It's a good one. I do love being able to change the font size. I can't read regular books without my contacts in so I was thrilled when I figured out about changing the font size. I agree about the paperbacks because I'm definitely running out of shelf space but favorite books definitely have to be in print form!

      Delete
  6. I haven't read an Agatha Christie book in a long time. I'm due to go back to them soon.

    Thanks for visiting The Busy Mom's Daily.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love a good Agatha! It's comfort food in book form for me!

      Delete
  7. I would read this book simply because I am full of curiosity with what Middle Eastern culture is all about, plus I have heard that this book is full of Middle Eastern ambiance, Thanks for sharing and have a wonderful weekend :)

    Sparrow's BB & Friday 56

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's definitely interesting how Baghdad is perceived in this book. For most of my life it hasn't exactly been considered a vacation spot so it's really interesting to see it through the eyes of a tourist.

      Delete
  8. I like silver mustaches that curl up at the end. The way he's dressed seems odd, the cloak and hood.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like the way it starts.

    Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love my kindle paperwhite, too, but cannot stand ebook cookbooks either! Have a great weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a few on my Kindle fire but I most definitely prefer cookbooks in actual book form. It just works better!

      Delete
  11. Good answer. I don't see me switching to either exclusively even though I haven't read an e-book for months. :) So maybe I have made prints exclusive. :)

    ENJOY your reading weekend.

    Happy Hopping!!

    Elizabeth
    Silver's Reviews
    My Blog Hop Answer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I go through phases where I'm reading more of one or the other depending on what's going on around me.

      Delete
  12. That's an intriguing quote. I'd read on.

    I like my Kindle for review books and for the convenience but I like paperbacks too. I am always reading both a kindle book and a print book. Right now, I have 3 print books and 1 kindle book going. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a good one! To me kindles and print books serve different functions so I do use them both - I think I've got 2 print and 1 kindle.

      Delete
  13. Love Agatha Christie and great choices for your BB and 56 :) As for the reading question, I prefer paperbacks or hardcovers. I have a kindle for digital arcs and freebies and I use the ipad for freebies and e-library books but I'm a 98% print reader.
    -Kimberly @ Turning the Pages

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I do like print but I kind of overdid it with the digital arcs so I'm reading a lot of Kindle books right now! Mostly due to circumstances over preference though.

      Delete
  14. Victoria's an interesting character and this definitely gives us a little window into the way her mind works.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I really like my Paperwhite too, Katherine. I almost use it and my Nook GlowLight exclusively these days, but I try every now and then to read a print book just so I don't forget how good that feels too! I can see why reading cookbooks on an e-reader wouldn't be the best way to go. I think I'd prefer the print version too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cookbooks on Kindles is just unnatural! I've gotten a few as either review or for really cheap and if I like it I always end up buying it in book form!

      Delete
  16. I agree, I love both ebooks and print and I think I will always have both. I need a Paperwhite and a Nook Glowlight...I have a Kindle Fire and a Kindle eInk but I need one that's good for reading in bed at night.

    My Bookish Memes Post

    ReplyDelete