Monday, March 17, 2014

The Death of a Policeman - Review


Death of a Policeman: A Hamish Macbeth Mystery by M.C. Beaton

Rating: 3 Stars

Description:  When DCI Blair sends a spy to see if he can shut down Sergeant Hamish Macbeth's station things go horribly wrong.  For starters everyone in Lochdubh spots Cyril Sessions for exactly what he is and refuse to give him the information he and Blair want.  Things get worse when Sessions is found dead from a shotgun blast to the chest.  Things begin to lead away from Macbeth when a strange phone number is found in one of the last places Sessions was and the new Scottish police forces finds themselves embroiled in a very sinister mystery where it becomes hard to tell who the enemy really is.

Genre: Mystery

My Impression:  While I have read several of Beaton's Agatha Raisin books this is my first Macbeth.  There is a lot of back story for this character.  There are 2 past fiances and an ex kind of stalker as well as a rocky history with DCI Blair and who knows what else.  While I was able to still read and enjoy this book I think I would've enjoyed it more if I had started earlier in the series. That being said the mystery was very interesting and not to coincidence based which is one of my pet peeves.  Each link in the story is added due to something uncovered either in an interview or other form of investigation.  The story did meander a bit and the end seemed unnecessary to the core story though it was pretty funny in a very dark kind of way.  There are some very serious subjects presented but they are handled with a very light hand and would be fine for mystery readers who tend to stick to cozies.

Would I Read More of this Series/Author?: Yes, I think any cozy mystery reader would enjoy it.

Would I Recommend this Book?:  Yes though I would recommend starting with an earlier book.

1 comment:

  1. It'ts been ages since I last read a M.C. Beaton book. I think I have another of the author's books on my shelf waiting it's turn. This one sounds good. I like the fact that the mystery isn't mostly based on coincidences--that annoys me too.

    ReplyDelete