Thursday, March 27, 2014

Buried in a Bog - Review

It's TBR Thursday!  In honor of the Get Control of Your TBR Challenge that I've entered and not doing particularly well in I've decided that every Thursday will be a review for a book of my TBR shelf.

Buried in a Bog by Sheila Connolly

Rating: 4 Stars

Description:  Maura Donovan finds herself in the small town of Leap in County Cork, Ireland to fulfill a promise to her grandmother who left the area as a young widow with a little boy.  Much to her surprise she finds herself slowly finding her way and fitting in to the small community who knows so much about her family.  Her peaceful visit is interrupted when a body is found in the nearby bog that appears to be at least 50 years old. Then a few days later another body, this time present day, is found a few miles away.  Suddenly Maura finds herself a target for someone who wants her to go away now.  The mysteries are beginning to stack up.  Who was the man who was found in the bog?  Who killed the man a few days ago?  And why does someone seem so desperate for Maura to leave?

Genre: Mystery

My Impression:  This book is a mystery by one of my favorite authors, in my favorite setting with a mystery from the past and a bit of genealogy thrown in.  How could I possibly resist that?  For the most part this one lived up to its promise.  Maura took some getting used to as she was a little hard edged and cynical and didn't immediately fall in love with Ireland.  Given her upbringing this is pretty realistic.  She's also very different from Connolly's past characters from the museum and orchard series.  Maura isn't particularly ambitious or educated.  She knows she wants to do something different than the waitressing and bartending she's done in Boston but she's not sure what.  I liked that once she got involved with the murders she didn't run out and try to investigate them on her own.  She took the information that fell into her lap directly to the police.  This book is full of interesting characters with a great setting.  Maura's reasons for staying make sense and she acts like a rational adult through most of the book which doesn't always happen in cozies.  I thoroughly enjoyed this fun mystery with a touch of history and look forward to reading more in this series.

Would I Read More of this Series/Author?: Definitely - one of my favorite authors

Would I Recommend this Book?:  Yes, this was a great mystery.

2 comments:

  1. It is set in a small Irish town, there is murder, mystery and a bog! Oh this sounds wonderful, and the fact that this is one of your favorite authors has me adding it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you enjoy it! This is the 3rd series of hers that I've read and I've enjoyed them all.

      Delete