Source: Purchased
Description: The second Dorothy L. Sayers classic to feature mystery writer Harriet Vane, Have His Carcase. Harriet’s discovery of a murdered body on the beach before it is swept out to sea unites her once more with the indomitable Lord Peter Wimsey, as together they attempt to solve a most lethal mystery, and find themselves become much closer than mere sleuthing partners in the process.
Genre: Mystery - Classic
Why I Picked This Book: This was the next book in the Lord Peter Wimsey series.
My Impression: This year has been all about reading what I love and I've had to have a bit of a sit down with myself and realize I just don't love Dorothy Sayers. She loves a clever turn of phrase and is brilliant at using them but sometimes it gets a bit much. Plus, I can only handle Wimsey in small doses. Much more and I want to throw something at him. I do love Harriet Vane and she and Wimsey play off each other very nicely.
This was a fun mystery with a lot of different threads and more then a few dead ends. The mystery reveal was surprising and entertaining. Unfortunately, to me, a lot of the impact got lost in all the phrasing and asides. I have a few more Lord Peter Wimsey books - including Gaudy Night which features Harriet Vane. I will read them but I don't think I will be picking up any more of her books. When it comes down to it I just don't think this is an author for me.
Would I Read More of this Series/Author? I will but only the ones already on my shelf.
Would I Recommend this Book? If you enjoy classic mysteries I'd give Dorothy L. Sayers a try - though I'd focus on the ones featuring Harriet Vane.
Would I Read More of this Series/Author? I will but only the ones already on my shelf.
Would I Recommend this Book? If you enjoy classic mysteries I'd give Dorothy L. Sayers a try - though I'd focus on the ones featuring Harriet Vane.

No comments:
Post a Comment