Source: Publisher
Description: For decades, the women of Wester House have unsettled and fascinated their small, timeless North Carolina town. Their home is full of whispers, old griefs, and uncanny knowing. But when Willamena Wester reaches out to the granddaughter she once pushed away, long-buried truths begin to stir.
1976:
Restless young Willamena falls for a stranded musician who brings freedom and the promise of another life to her carefully controlled world. Their brief, incandescent love story promises to escape the pull of the Wester legacy until Willamena makes a fateful choice that changes her life forever.
Present Day:
Returning home is the last thing Bailey Wester wants. Yet as she reconnects with Willamena, the grandmother she feared, Bailey begins to understand the love, heartbreak, and impossible choices that shaped the women in her family and realizes the past may not have been trying to haunt them after all.
Genre: Fiction
Why I Picked This Book: I've really enjoyed everything I've read by this author.
My Impression: I didn't love this one. I found it incredibly readable and flew through it. I never had any issue picking this one up and never considered DNFing it. The characters were well drawn and felt very real as was the community of Hen Town. Tasha's story was really interesting, and I really would have liked more of it.
Unfortunately, this was missing the magic I usually associate with this author's books. The power of the Wester women never felt fully realized though the repercussions are felt throughout the story. Why the Wester women live the way they do also doesn't fully make sense nor does all the rules around Wester house. Their lives just feel grim and tightly controlled to make the plot go along.
I did like the epilogue though again I just wanted more. I wanted to see more of these characters living lives they deserved versus what they went through in the bulk of the book. I think when it all comes down to it that kind of sums up my full thoughts on this book. I liked it but I just wanted more - more story, more development, more explanation, just more.
Would I Read More of this Series/Author? Definitely. While this wasn't my favorite I do love the author's writing style and ability to tell a story and I'm looking forward to reading more from her.
Would I Recommend this Book? I would definitely recommend this author but this book isn't the one I would recommend starting with.
* I received this book in exchange for an honest review. As always my opinions and impressions are completely my own. *

No comments:
Post a Comment