Friday, August 21, 2026

Friday Fives - Bookish Confessions


I'm in a list making kind of mood so I thought I'd start making random five lists.  Sometimes they'll be bookish other weeks not so much.  Today, inspired by the Well-Read Podcast I'm listing my 5 bookish confessions.


1.  I don't keep books - I do reread but not very often and unless I'm sure I'm going to want to reread the book it immediately goes into the bin I have to take to the used bookstore.  More often than not if I'm not sure I'm going to reread I go on and trade it in because I can always rebuy it later.  Plus, I have a whole roomful of books that I haven't read so I'd rather keep the space for new acquisitions.  There are some authors I collect - Agatha Christie, Dorothy Gilman, Patricia Wentworth and several others.


2.  It never occurs to me to annotate or write down quotes - It always amazes me when people talk about needing a highlighter to read or annotating while reading.  It never enters my mind regardless of what I'm reading.  I typically skip footnotes too unless I need clarity.


3.  I don't mind a broken spine - As long as pages aren't falling out a cracked spine doesn't really bother me and I'm not horrified if I accidentally break the spine.  This may be because I don't keep books.  


4.  If there's a plot point, character, or animal that I'm really stressed about I sometimes skim the last chapter or so to make sure it works out before I continue reading - It just makes the whole reading experience more relaxing if I'm not constantly stressed about something.  


5.  I can't binge a series - It doesn't matter how much I love a series or the characters I can't finish a book and immediately pick up the next book in the series.  The times I've done it I end up being annoyed about SOMETHING - character quirks, writing style, a plot point, something.  Now I put at least a book or two between the next books in the series.

What are some of your bookish confessions?  Do you share any of mine?

3 comments:

  1. I MOSTLY don't read books back to back, because if I do, I'm likely to pick up on an author's quirks. But just occasionally as particular world grips me and I don't want to let it go... My main bookish confession - I'm far too tempted by the new and shiny! I have LOADS of books where I've read the first book in a series and then, for one reason or another, simply don't continue. Thank you for a lovely post:)).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like these confessions, Katherine! I share a couple of them, but I do binge on series from time to time. And I do re-read books, but my type of reading material is mostly e-books or audios now so not so much about the spines and finding room for them. I also don't write down quotes. Works for some, not for me. I love mysteries, thrillers, and book groups! My confessions. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well I don't often note quotes unless I'm reading an ebook. Since I read ebooks some of these don't really apply.

    Anne - Books of My Heart

    ReplyDelete