Thursday, January 20, 2022

Classic Mystery List for 2022

 

In 2021 I made a list of 10 classic mysteries that I wanted to be sure to read and really liked having that to focus on.  So I decided to do the same thing in 2022 and here is the list I'm looking forward to reading.


1.  Anna, Where Are You? by Patricia Wentworth - This is the next Miss Silver book and one I haven't read!

2.  Double Sin and Other Stories by Agatha Christie - Now that I have finished the Miss Marple books I'm starting Christie's short story collections and am so looking forward to them!

3.  Mrs. Pollifax on Safari by Dorothy Gilman - Mrs. Pollifax is such a delight and I can't wait to see what kind of trouble she gets into on safari.

4.  A Man Lay Dead by Ngaio Marsh - This is the first book in the Roderick Alleyn series.  I've had an iffy history with Marsh but am planning on starting from the beginning with the Alleyn series and seeing what I think.

5.  Henrietta Who? by Catherine Aird - I really enjoyed the first Inspector Sloan book and am looking forward to rereading this one.  It's been so long since I've read it that it barely counts as a reread.


6.  Unnatural Death by Dorothy L. Sayers - This is the third book in the Lord Peter Wimsey series.  I enjoyed the first two though I have decided that audio for these doesn't work for me as they can be a little bit slower paced but it is important to pay attention to all the details.  I'm hoping that reading this in print works better for me.

7.  The Haunted Lady by Mary Roberts Rinehart - I have read a few Mary Roberts Rinehart books and enjoyed them quite a bit and am looking forward to continuing.

8.  Madam, Will You Talk? by Mary Stewart - This is more Gothic then mystery but Stewart is an author I want to read more from.

9.  The Man in the Queue by Josephine Tey - This is the first book in the Inspector Grant series and while I have met Grant in another book I'm looking forward to starting at the beginning of the series.

10. Dead Men Don't Ski by Patricia Moyes - I read several books by Moyes back in college and remember really enjoying them.  This is the first book in the Henry Tibbet series and I'm looking forward to seeing if it lives up to my memories.

Have you read any of these?  Do you have any classic mysteries you want to read this year?

8 comments:

  1. It sounds like you are doing a classic mystery version of the Classics Club! I am eager to see what you think. I'd love to add some mysteries to my list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've read two of these - Madam, Will You Talk? and Mrs. Pollifax on Safari. I loved both, but especially the Mrs. Pollifax book. Haven't reread it in years, but I should. Hope it would hold up well. I'm also a big fan of the one where she goes to China. Good luck with these classics of the mystery world, Katherine!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice list! I haven't read any of them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not read any of these and I am looking forward to seeing what you think of them!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I read the Mrs. Pollifax book, and have read most of them, they are very engaging. Aird is on my list of want to read and I enjoy Dorothy Sayers' mysteries.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fabulous list and I find planning out like this makes it more likely to happen. We can focus on what we have listed instead of getting side tracked too much. I did read Ngaio Marsh years ago but haven't for so very very long. It would have been when I couldn't find anything else!

    ReplyDelete
  7. All of these look like they will be good. I am terrible at following lists, but I enjoy making them. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have not read any of these books! I will be looking forward to your reviews.

    ReplyDelete