Tuesday, August 3, 2021

My Nonfiction TBR



1.  The Last Castle by Denise Kiernan -  We went to the Biltmore a number of years ago and were just fascinated by the concept that people actually lived there at one point.  I'm looking forward to getting to know the grand home a bit better.  

2.  Betty Ford: First Lady, Women's Advocate, Survivor and Trailblazer by Lisa McCubbin - I read a book that featured all of the modern day First Ladies and became very interested in Betty Ford.  I'd like to read a book just dedicated to her.  

3.  The Ice Cream Blonde: The Whirlwind Life and Mysterious Death of Screwball Comedienne Thelma Todd by Michelle Morgan - I know nothing about Thelma Todd at all but the subtitle has me intrigued.

4.  Making Time: Lillian Moller Gilbreth - A Life Beyond Cheaper by the Dozen by Jane Lancaster - I've read a little bit about Lillian Gilbreth and she is a fascinating woman.

5.  The Gardner Heist: The True Story of the World's Largest Art Heist by Ulrich Boser - I have a fascination with art theft documentaries and I really want to try books about art thefts and I have a few on my shelf.  


6.  The Missing Kennedy: Rosemary Kennedy and the Secret Bonds of Four Women by Elizabeth Koehler-Pentacoff -  I read a ton of Kennedy related biographies when I was in college but that's been years and I'm curious to learn a bit more about Rosemary and her life after surgery.

7.  Quiet: The Importance of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking by Susan Cain - This one was everywhere several years ago and somehow I never read it.  I'm an introvert but do okay in social situations (though they can be exhausting) but so many of my closest family members really struggle.  This sounds like it could be an interesting read.

8.  The Devil in the White City by Erik Larson - I've read 2 books by Larson - one I loved and one I was just okay on but this one is really is calling me!  I'm going to try it on audio.  

9.  A Brotherhood Betrayed: The Man Behind the Rise and Fall of Murder, Inc by Michael Cannell - After my Kennedy bio reading in college I went through a mafia bio reading and this one interested me.  I know a bit about Murder, Inc but am curious about this one.

10. A Woman of No Importance: The Untold Story of the American Spy Who Helped Win World War II by Sonia Purnell - I adore espionage books - especially ones involving and especially those set during WWII.  This one sounds fascinating!

What nonfiction books are on your TBR?

10 comments:

  1. Several of these NF look very good. I listened to an audio called Rosemary: The Hidden Kennedy Daughter and I found it fascinating. I hadn't heard of this one. enjoy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't been reading any nonfiction lately, but have been watching tons of documentaries on Netflix and other places. the things that go on with other people behind the scenes has been truly fascinating, particularly crime stories. Hope you're doing well, and sending lots of hugs, RO

    ReplyDelete
  3. Audio is the way to go with Devil in the White City - enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I rarely read non-fiction but this looks like a great list.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope you love them all! I’m always in need of good nonfiction, so I’ll keep an eye out for your reviews.

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am a fan of Kennedy books, and haven't yet read this one. I did read one book about Rosemary called The Hidden Kennedy Daughter.

    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Some interesting books, when I read the book about Eunice Kennedy I was struck by the sad story of Rosemary. I'd love the Castle one I think and always interested in First Lady stories.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've read a handful of historical fiction about women spies - always good stories but I'm never sure of the actual facts portrayed and what was imagined. That's all to say NF is a great way to go too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm listening to a Larson book on audio right now - DEAD WAKE. It's a good listen. There are lots of details about the Lusitania, but I think Larson strikes a good balance between talking about the ship itself, the history of the war and the use of U-boats, and the people who were on the Lusitania. I also liked DEVIL IN THE WHITE CITY when I read it years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'd like to read The Missing Kennedy and the one about Biltmore sounds great too. I also like the espionage books so the Sonia Purnell book is appealing.
    Next year I would like to join in on the Australian reading challenge again but I seem to have trouble finding the Aussie authors, at least those available here. That's my latest fixation. That and the reading more non fiction.

    ReplyDelete