Saturday, January 4, 2020

My Favorite Audio Books of 2019


I listened to 36 audio books in 2019 and here are some of my favorites!


1.  Dark Witch by Nora Roberts and Narrated by Katherine Kellgren - I read this one when it first came out and was pretty meh about it but I got it on sale at Audible and thought I'd give it another try and ended up absolutely loving it!

2.  The Widow by Fiona Barton and Narrated by Hannah Curtis, Nicholas Guy Smith, Jayne Entwistle, Steve West, and Mandy Williams - This was a topic that was almost too much for me but between how the author handled it and the fabulous narration I really enjoyed it.  And you can't go wrong with anything that Jayne Entwistle reads.

3.  Dead Wake by Erik Larson and Narrated by Scott Brick - I was iffy on this one because nonfiction books that aren't memoirs don't seem to meld with audio but this was fascinating and amazing.

4.  Chitty Chitty Bang Bang and the Race Against Time by Frank Cotrell Boyce and Narrated by David Tennant - I will listen to anything David Tennant reads and his complete and total obvious joy with this story makes a fun middle grade adventure absolutely amazing.

5.  Meet Me at the Cupcake Cafe by Jenny Colgan and Narrated by Michelle Ford - Jenny Colgan's books just beg to be listened to and this was absolutely delightful.  I listened to this one while we were painting an entire house as quickly as possible and it made me really enjoy a normally tedious chore.


6.  What We Find by Robyn Carr and Narrated by Therese Plummer - I think I would have enjoyed this just as much if I had read it but I like the narrator and it was fun to listen to.

7.  Watching You by Lisa Jewell and Narrated by Gabrielle Glaister - I love Jewell's books in audio form and this one was no exception.  This was one of those finding extra projects to do so I had more time to listen.

8.  Nine Perfect Strangers by Liane Moriarty and Narrated by Caroline Lee - This book got some seriously mixed reviews and after listening I can understand why but I loved the narrator and got thoroughly caught up in this one.  I really enjoyed the book and the audio version.

9.  I See You by Clare Mackintosh and Narrated by Rachel Atkins - This reminded me a bit of Lisa Jewell's books in the best way.  The atmosphere was suffocatingly ominous and I really had no idea how it was going to turn out.

10. Rainy Day Sisters by Kate Hewitt and Narrated by Rosalyn Landor - Landor is one of my favorite narrators and this one had a bit of a Jenny Colgan feel which made it a treat  I'm really looking forward to reading more by this author.

What were some of your favorite audios you listened to in 2019?

10 comments:

  1. I bought some of my favourite books in audio version and I really need to start finding time to listen to them! I just can't seem to sit still and listen but I must try harder with that this year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've read 3 of the books you listed, but only listened to Nine Perfect Strangers. I love Caroline Lee as a narrator (she does a bunch of Kate Morton's books too). Some criticized the narration of this one, but I liked it. It wasn't my favorite of Liane Moriarty's books, but for me, it's hard to top Big Little Lies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel so bad. I only listened to one audiobook all year last year. I need to do better this year. I have so many that I'm not hurting for options. I haven't yet read any of your audio favorites, but they sound good. I hope you read many more great audiobooks this year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Caroline Lee does narrate Liane Moriarty's books well, maybe if I'd listened I'd have liked it better. Love Therese Plummer as a narrator too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a great list Katherine - I've loved adding audiobooks to my reading lists. It's wonderful listening to books while I'm doing the chores. Cleaning the bathroom is now actually fun!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad you found some good audiobooks to enjoy in 2019. This is the year I'm going to try listening to audiobooks. I've never done it before, but I got a couple free books for joining Audible so I'm going to give them a whirl!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have encountered a few books that really were so much better in audio for me. I listened to The Widow and thought it was well done. It sounds like I need to add a few of the others to my list.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'll have to see if Hoopla has the audio of any of the Chitty Chitty Bang Bang books. 🎧

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just found that my library has all of the Chitty Chitty Bang Bang books on audio. When I get through the two I have, I'll have to check one out.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is awesome! I need to listen to more audiobooks in 2020!

    ReplyDelete