Monday, October 5, 2026

The Haunted Librarian - Paranormal Cozy Fiction Review

Goodreads: The Haunted Librarian by Auralee Wallace

Rating: Liked It! (3.5 Stars)
Source: Publisher

Description:
 It’s a dark and stormy night…and Amelia Bates is caught in the rain. Life hasn’t always been kind to her, and being a ghostseer certainly doesn’t make things any easier.

Glowing warmly through the autumnal downpour is her safest the library. Amelia, the newly hired librarian, has always relished the comfort of curling up with a novel, vastly preferring it to the company of humans (alive or ghostly).

But Amelia is shocked to discover the building is full of more than quiet stories and warm cups of tea. There are curious, talkative patrons, a shy, bespectacled head librarian who makes her heart skip a beat, and three quirky spirits causing paranormal havoc that endangers the future of the library.

To help the ghosts and save the building, Amelia will have to gather all her bravery and wits, because learning to trust others might just be the first step to a happily ever after she only thought was possible in books.

Genre: Fiction - Paranormal Cozy 

Why I Picked This Book:
I've enjoyed other books from this author that also had a witchy element - though they were more cozy mysteries than this one.

My Impression: I love the premise of this.  I'm a big fan of sentient buildings and what could be better than a sentient library WITH ghosts?  The night librarian is also an interesting dynamic as it allows for more interaction between the ghosts and the library itself without the pesky patrons getting in the way.  Simon and Rosalinda (both living library employees) are interesting characters and the ghosts are interesting and a bit different from the usual ghosts. 
What took this book down a few notches was the slow start and Amelia herself.  Both of these I can blame on it being the first book in a series.  There's a lot of setup as Amelia gets through the job interview (such as it is) and figures out the library and what's going on.  As well, the reader has to get to know Amelia which takes a bit as she has a lot of backstory and baggage a lot of which center around her ability to see ghosts.  It didn't help that I didn't really like Amelia.  She's walking second hand embarrassment for much of the book.  If she's holding a drink she's going to spill it on herself or someone else.  If there is something to fall down she will do so spectacularly.  It's a bit much.  With quirky characters it sometimes does take a bit for things to settle down a bit and that is definitely the case here.  I hope if this is the beginning of the series that Amelia isn't quite as quirky in the next book.
I love the premise and enjoy the author's writing style.  There's a bit of everything in this book - mystery, romance, character growth, and of course ghosts.  Overall, despite a rough start, I enjoyed this story and would like to revisit this world.  

Would I Read More of this Series/Author? I would.  While this was a bit rough especially at the beginning I did enjoy it and I've enjoyed other books by this author.

Would I Recommend this Book? If you're looking for a witchy ghostly cozy read I think this would be a good choice.  As well I really enjoyed her mystery series.

* I received this book in exchange for an honest review. As always my opinions and impressions are completely my own. *

No comments:

Post a Comment