Tuesday, April 2, 2019

Top Ten Tuesday - Things That Make Me Pick Up a Book


This week's Top Ten Tuesday topic hosted from That Artsy Reader Girl is one that I've done several times in various ways but never tire of talking about - Things That Make Me Pick Up a Book. 


1.  Family Secrets - This is especially true if there is a letter or manuscript discovered.  I love when a character is digging into family secrets!


2.  A Bookish Main Character - Murder solving librarian?  Bookstore owner who is finding herself after a rough patch herself?  I'm in!


3.  A Crumbling Estate - Inherited a crumbling estate?  Hired to fix up a crumbling estate?  Whatever the reason I do love a crumbling estate. 


4.  Everything Has Gone Terribly Wrong But the Main Character is Starting Over - A messy breakup?  A job loss?  Death of beloved family member?  Whatever it is that sends a character to a new place to start over and figure out what really makes them happy I'm here for it!


5.  Ireland - I do love an Irish setting no matter the genre.  I can never turn down an Irish setting.


6.  Antique Store Owner/ Collector/Auctioneer - I don't care how antiques come into the story but if there's antique shopping or collection in any form or manner I can't resist.


7.  Historical Mysteries - I've been loving historical mysteries lately.  Time period doesn't seem to matter just as long as somewhere in the past someone is solving a murder!


8.  A Foodie Main Character - Restaurant owner, baker, caterer - doesn't matter!  If someone is cooking I'm here for it!


9.  Sisters - I think it might be the only child in me but I love a book with a focus on sibling relationships - especially sisters.


10. A Ghost Story - I love a good ghost story - especially if it's one in a crumbling estate inherited by someone whose life went terribly wrong and they're now trying to put it right.  Bonus points if they're uncovering family secrets in Ireland.

What makes you want to pick up a book?

12 comments:

  1. I'm exactly the same about family secrets! Just a whiff of a secret and I'm in. And I think I need to read more historical mysteries as it combines two of my favourite genres. Of course I love that you enjoy books set in Ireland!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yea to family secrets!! I definitely agree with a bunch more up there - especially a bookish character!

    ReplyDelete
  3. YES to so many of these! Sisters was on my list at first, but I decided to replace it with something else at the last minute. I love books about sisters, though, probably because I have two of my own. Those relationships can be dramatic and complicated, but also so full of love.

    Happy TTT!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love a good family secret! And historical mysteries too- it can be Regency, Victorian, or just about anything else.

    ReplyDelete
  5. There's nothing like a good family secret. Good choice there.

    My post: http://www.lydiaschoch.com/top-ten-tuesday-things-that-make-me-pick-up-a-book/

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have some in common there with you and then part company on mysteries and thrillers. I do love that - everything has gone wrong but the main character is starting over. I think I read a lot of books like that.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never really thought about it, but I agree with you about #4....I love a book about a person who has had great difficulty in life and is starting fresh!

    ReplyDelete
  8. These all sound like stories that I like. I do tend to pick up books with bookish or foodie characters and starting over is usually a lot of fun.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Some of these are catnip for me, too... especially bookish main characters, crumbling estates, historical mysteries, and ghosts (but only if they're helpful.)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I always find it interesting to see what makes other people grab books!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh I do love the fixer upper ones. It's so neat seeing them bring a building back to life :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Bookish MCs, crumbling mansions, and sisters call to me, too! 👍✨

    ReplyDelete