Tuesday, April 16, 2019

Top Ten Tuesday - Rainy Day Reads

Today's Top Ten Tuesday topic from That Artsy Reader Girl is Rainy Day Reads.  I love the occasional rainy day and curling up with a good book is one of my favorite things!  Here are a few of my favorites.

1.  The Storied Life of AJ Fikry by Gabrielle Zevin - There was so much hype when this one came out that I ended up being a little disappointed with it but the story itself is sweet  with a touch of bittersweet and is a quick read that pulls you in.  Perfect for a rainy afternoon.

2.  The Mysterious Mr. Quinn by Agatha Christie - I love Agatha Christie's short stories and this is one of my absolute favorite collections.  They're light mystery and so entertaining - perfect to spend a gray drizzly afternoon.

3.   In a Dark Dark Wood by Ruth Ware - This is a spooky mystery with an oppressive setting and begs to be read in a thunderstorm.

4.  A Week Winter by Maeve Binchy - The setting for this book is a warm cozy house on the Irish coast and would be perfect reading when curled up with a blanket on a cold rainy day.

5.  Tuesdays at the Castle by Jessica Day George - While I love a rainy day more than two or three make me stir crazy and this is perfect for a little escapist reading when you just can't handle being inside anymore.

6.  The Crying Child by Barbara Michaels - A spooky read that really must be read during a thunderstorm - preferably with howling wind.

7.  The Cafe by the Sea by Jenny Colgan - I think you really need to have a plateful of scones sitting by when you read this and a cold drizzly day is the perfect atmosphere.

8.  The Magician's Nephew by CS Lewis - Every rainy day should have a little magic and this book is a one sitting block everything out and be completely delighted kind of read.

9.  The Lighthouse Keeper's Daughter by Hazel Gaynor - I wouldn't read this when the weather is too bad as there are two actual hurricanes in the book but a bit of rain would add the perfect atmosphere to this heart breaking book.

10. Book 4 Murder by J.C. Eaton - This is the perfect "it's been raining so long that if it rains one more day I'm going to lose mind" kind of read.  It's so hot and dry in this book that a bit of rain won't seem quite so bad!

What are some of your favorite rainy day reads?

12 comments:

  1. The Storied Life of AJ Fikry is one I want to get to. Glad to see it on your list!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've read a few of these and I agree, they're great rainy day reads!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will be re-reading the Storied Life of AJ Fikrey this year as it is a book club selection. That said, I loved the book at first and then discovered that it faded from my memory at a phenomenal speed. Not a good sign. I'm off the board with unusual narrators this week. Check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Crying Child does sound intriguing!

    My TTT.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't think I mind any book as long as it grabs my attention and I can sit cozily somewhere with a hot cup of tea.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great list! I haven't read any of these yet, but I have a couple of them on my list.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Agatha Christie (or similar mysteries) would be fabulous rainy reads!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice choices, I want scones right now!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yay for Barbara Michaels!!! I haven’t read any of these actually but she is a favorite author of mine! You have a bunch here that are on my TBR list though :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great choices, both the ones I've read (Christie, The Magician's Nephew, Tuesdays at the Castle) and, based on your descriptions, the ones I haven't. The Jenny Colgan and Gabrielle Zevin books are already on my to-read list, though.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I don't pick out anything specific for rainy days, just whatever I'm reading. I read all my favourite genres all year round!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I loved The Storied Life of A.J. Fickry. 💜

    ReplyDelete