Friday, June 23, 2017

Friday Linkups: Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency















It's Friday linkup time!  I'm linking up with the Book Blogger Hop hosted by Coffee Addicted Writer, Book Beginnings of Fridays hosted by Rose City Reader, and the Friday 56 hosted by Freda's Voice

This Week's Book Blogger Hop Question:
If you are at a particularly good point in a book and the phone rings or the doorbell rings, do you stop reading or let the phone or doorbell go unanswered?

My Answer:
I do most of my reading at night so if the phone or doorbell is ringing at 11PM it's typically not something that can be ignored.  I have been known to get so wrapped up in my book that I don't hear the phone or anything else around me but for the most part if I hear it it'll eat at me until I know what's going on!  That said, I ignore a sensible time to go to sleep pretty much every night because I'm reading!

This week's book is Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency by Douglas Adams.  This is another take 2 as I meant to read it last summer but somehow never managed it.  Now is the time!  My husband really enjoyed this book and we watched the BBC show that was based off this book and I loved it.  Well except for the last 5 minutes which I like to pretend didn't happen.  While there were a lot of changes between the show and the book the feel is pretty similar (apparently - I haven't read it but J swears this is the case) and the show did a pretty good job of capturing Adams' offbeat sense of humor.

The Beginning:
This time there would be no witnesses."

My Thoughts:
Well that sounds ominous!

The 56:
This was the evening of the last day of Gordon Way's life, and he was wondering if the rain would hold off for the weekend.

My Thoughts:
I have no idea why this is Gordon Way's life but it doesn't sound like it's expected.  I suspect most people are thinking inconsequential things most of the time.

So what do you think?  Keep reading?


23 comments:

  1. Would definitely keep reading! Love that opening line- it is rather ominous! Looks like fun. And as for the phone / doorbell, I would definitely answer the door. The phone, on the other hand, depends on who's calling lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't know there was a show! I loved Adams' writing style in the End of the Universe series.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would answer the doorbell but not the phone, unless it was my family.... I love this question!

    ReplyDelete
  4. All right. Fab opening.
    sherry @ fundinmental Friday Memes

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have been meaning to read this book for years but haven't had a chance yet. I'd keep reading. This week I'm reading Sky Dragons by Anne McCaffrey and Todd McCaffrey. I want to finally finish this series. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing this new-to-me book and author. I want to know more!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The excerpts have piqued my curiosity. I want to know more.

    As for phone calls when I'm reading, I have my cordless with the Caller ID next to me, and ignore those numbers I don't recognize.

    I never answer to door unless I'm expecting someone. I hate the doorbell! LOL.

    Here's my read: “THE SUNSHINE SISTERS”

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't know how I haven't already read this one.... soon! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Doorbells are hard to ignore during the day with my daughter around as now I have to race her to the door. LOL She's good about not answering it, but she always wants to be right there when I open it. As it is, the doorbell and knocking set off my anxiety, and so I always notice it (unless I'm upstairs and can't hear it).

    I really want to read Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency. My husband really enjoys Adams' books. I hope you have a great weekend, Katherine!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I would probably at least look at my phone to see who is calling. But if I didn't recognize the number or if it's someone I don't want to talk to, I will let it go to voicemail and go back to my book. I would definitely answer the door though.

    ReplyDelete
  11. So far, I've only read Douglas Adams Hitchhiker books and have actually been meaning to check out Dirk Gently for a while.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Late night anything is scary and shouldn't be ignored.

    Great answer to the Blog Hop...I am usually up later than my husband and reading. :)

    Have a great weekend, and Happy Hopping!!

    Elizabeth
    Silver's Reviews
    My Blog Hop Answer

    ReplyDelete
  13. Haha! My husband, who is not an avid reader, did read these books years ago and still talks about them. I love the concept, I should pick one of these up sometime.

    Here's my Friday post, Inspiration Pie Have a great weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. I wonder if this book is similar. Douglas's sense of humor is so funny. My Friday Quotes

    ReplyDelete
  15. I wont ignore either. Not at 11 pm.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I hate it when someone comes to the door or calls when I am really focused on a book. I do put the book aside but I don't usually want to. I have read Douglas Adams before so I will be looking forward to your review!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I like the show but haven't read the book. I should though.
    Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  18. LOL yeah a sensible bedtime or another few chapters...

    ReplyDelete
  19. Yes I know what you mean on your blog hop answer I am the same way too. Have a great weekend and here is my blog hop answer

    http://katisbookaholicramblingreviews.blogspot.com/2017/06/book-blogger-hop-46.html#more

    ReplyDelete
  20. I should be reading this within the next year. I didn't know there was a BBC series. I will have to check it out after I read the book! I always answer the phone, but I never answer the door because anyone I care about has a key, and everyone else that matters knows to call first. Ha ha.

    ReplyDelete