Tuesday, March 28, 2017

Top Ten Tuesday - Ten Authors I'd Like to Meet

This week's Top Ten Tuesday topic from The Broke and the Bookish is Ten Authors I'd Like to Meet or Have Met.  Now meeting authors has never been high up on my list.  I'm not sure how much I want to see behind the curtain.  I mean what do you do if you meet your favorite author and they're really mean?  Will they still be your favorite author?   As well a number of my picks would involve a time machine!

1.  Agatha Christie - Besides being my favorite author Christie had a fascinating life as a world traveler and spent lots of time on archaeological digs with her husband renowned archaeologist Max Mallowan.  Since she hated being asked about her books I'd stick with discussing archaeology!

2.  Barbara Michaels/Barbara Mertz/Elizabeth Peters - Under the name Barbara Michaels she has written some of my favorite guaranteed slump-buster romantic suspense books.  Under the name Elizabeth Peters she's written tons of mysteries.  Under her actual name of Barbara Mertz she had a PhD in Egyptology and has two books on Ancient Egypt that have been in continuous print since publication in the 1960s.  I think she'd be a fascinating person to get to know.

3.  Elizabeth Enright - I know almost nothing about her as a person but her children's books in the Melendy series and in the Gone Away Lake series are so delightful that she just has to be a lovely person.

4.  Sarah MacLean - I heard a number of interviews with MacLean on the podcast Avon on the Air which hasn't had a recent podcast in months which makes me sad.  However, MacLean is hilarious and I really enjoyed her take on some of the more classic romances.  I love that not only is she a romance writer but she is clearly an enthusiastic romance reader.

5.  Kathleen Flinn - I've really enjoyed all 3 books I've read by Kathleen Flinn and I'd really love to take a cooking class taught by her.  She comes as so nice and down to earth in all her books and Kitchen Counter Cooking School changed the way I think about ingredients.

6.  Sophie Hannah - I haven't actually read any of her books with her own characters but I have read both of her Poirot books and I know she was sanctioned by the grandson of Agatha Christie.  I would love to talk over her research and just Poirot in general.

7.  Jill Shalvis - I love Jill Shalvis' books and I love her Instagram feed and I love every interview I've ever heard from her.  She seems like she's just fun to hang out with plus she has lots of dogs which would make it even better.

8.  Douglas Adams - I love Adams' sense of humor and the fact that he can take the most ordinary situation and make it laugh till you cry funny without even seeming to try.  I'm curious on how that would translate to his speaking.

9.  Susan Wiggs - I really love Susan Wiggs' books but I really want to meet her to beg for the 3rd book in the Bella Vista Chronicles.  I adored The Apple Orchard and The Beekeeper's Ball and there were hints that a 3rd book was in the works and an open ended discovery at the end of the 2nd book and then NOTHING.  It's been years.  She's had other books that were wonderful but I want another Bella Vista Chronicles!

10. Tony Horwitz - Basically I just want to have Tony Horwitz's job.  He does these fascinating and funny travel/history books and I'd really just like to follow him around on one of his trips.  If you haven't read Blue Latitudes about Captain Cook or A Voyage Long and Strange about North American between Columbus and the Pilgrims I highly recommend them both.

Who would you like to meet?

24 comments:

  1. Jill Shalvis is probably such a fun author to meet!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I met Jill Shalvis in October and she is so fun! She gave a talk at a local literacy charity and it was great. I hope you get to meet her sometime :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha! Jill Shalvis is on my list, too. I bet she's hilarious! I actually would love to meet authors. I just don't have much of an opportunity for that where I live, which is sad.

    Although I'm not a huge fan of Sarah MacLean's books, I think I would like to hear her talk too. She's such an advocate for the romance genre, and like you said, she's a romance reader, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I used to read ONLY Agatha Christie for a period of my life when I was like 12 I think. LOVED her. I haven't read her in a while. I should! Great lost Katherine!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I started making a list, but came up with only four before deciding not to continue. LOL I ended up deleting that portion of my post and not doing a Top Ten this week. Now I wish I had done it anyway. Oh well. :-)

    I would love to meet Agatha Christie. Jill Shalvis is a good one too. I would love to visit her on the lake where she lives. So beautiful! I think I would have Nora Roberts and Stephen King on my list, and not so much because of their books but because of things I have heard them say or written outside of their books.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Agatha Christie is one of those legendary authors it would be so cool to meet. I bet Doug Adams would have been interesting to talk to as well!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Totally with you on the Susan Wiggs - we'll go together to add weight to the argument!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It would have been a real treat to have met Agatha Christie. Current authors I'd like to meet are Jacqueline Winnspear (the Masie Dobbs series) and M.C. Beaton (the Agatha Raisin series).

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, I only recognized two authors on your list. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I would like to meet Diana Dunn (aka Diana Xarissa), author of the Aunt Bessie series and Nancy Lynn Jarvis, author of the Regan McHenry series. I will be on Pelee Island (Canada) for Springsong and will have a chance to say hi to Margaret Atwood. It would be great to sit down over a cup of coffee with Khaled Hosseini.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I see a few on your list I'd like to meet but I think Barbara Mertz sounds like a fascinating person so she's be at the top of my list!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I would love to meet Jill Shalvis and I had no idea that Elizabeth Peters was only one pen name for an author. Great list!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh you list is wonderful. I met Jill at BEA. Such a sweetie. I would love to meet Illona Andrews, Patricia Briggs, Kim Harrison, Justin Corbin, Pierce Brown, Kresley Cole, Stephen King, Anne Bishop and who I am I kidding my list goes on and on!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Douglas Adams would be a hoot to meet. Ha ha. All of the authors I really want to meet aren't famous. They are indie and self published authors I am also Facebook friends with, so there is a double reason I want to meet them. A.G. Howard (well she wasn't famous when we first became friends, heh heh), Joe Kipling, A. Lynden Rolland, Lori M.Lee, Bethany Crandell, and M.R. Graham. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Jill Shalvis is fun, isn't she?! Ahh I wanna meet her so bad. You should read her blog if you don't already. I love her even more because of that.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I hope you get to meet Shalvis! She's a hoot! Christie would be a very interesting one to chat with.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lots of fun authors on this list!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ooooo Agatha Christie! I read about her life a few years ago - very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Douglas Adams would likely have been hilarious to talk to!

    ReplyDelete
  20. If only Christie and Adams were still alive! :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Definitely Agatha Christie - although..... Maybe she will just freak me out completely. Let's face it, there has to be something really weird about her....

    ReplyDelete