Monday, March 27, 2017

Agatha Christie Project - Poirot Part 5

Murder in the Mews (or Dead Man's Mirror and Other Stories) (1937) - This is actually a collection of 4 short stories ranging from almost 90 pages to around 30 pages.  These consist of Dead Man's Mirror, The Incredible Theft, Murder in the Mews and A Triangle at Rhodes.  While the mysteries are satisfying and expertly done this isn't one of my favorite books.  All but the title story feel like tweaks on other books or are more of an analytical exercise.  Without Hastings or really any kind of partner (with the exception of Murder in the Mews which has Chief Inspector Japp) we kind of lose Poirot and he doesn't seem to have as much presence in these stories as he normally does.  The title story is really my favorite and has an interesting perspective.  Poirot definitely makes his presence known here and I think the reveal would surprise most readers. This story raises the whole collection a star for me.  Overall, it's an entertaining and quick read.  Rating 4 Stars

Appointment with Death (1938)- I know I've said it before but I LOVE Christie's exotic location mysteries.  This book takes place in Jerusalem and centers around an American family called Boynton.  Poirot doesn't actually make an appearance in this book until the second half so the Boyntons were front and center with all their issues and they have some serious ones!  There is a wealth of suspects and motives floating around with none being less likely than the others and while Christie does play by the rules by giving the reader all the information I was still surprised when the killer was revealed.  While Poirot isn't the focus of the book I did enjoy his arrival into the story and the interplay between him and the law enforcement who bring him into the mystery.  This is probably one of my favorite books and one that I don't think gets nearly enough attention.  Rating 4.5 Stars

Sad Cypress (1940) - Elinor Carlisle thinks her whole life is planned out.  She and her cousin by marriage Roddy Welman are to be married and they will inherit Aunt Laura's fortune and live happily every after.  Except Roddy falls in love with pretty Mary Gerrard and Aunt Laura dies without a will - leaving all her money to Elinor alone.  Elinor is still reeling from her aunt's death and the engagement being called off when Mary dies and Elinor is arrested.  The case looks like an easy one and Elinor is sure to be found guilty when Aunt Laura's doctor calls in Hercule Poirot to save the day.  I feel like Christie was a little distracted when she wrote the ending of this book.  The plot itself is going nicely along and some holes are poked in the case against Elinor and then wham the reveal and the story is ended.  I was satisfied with the ending but it felt a bit like she had a 400 page novel and was told she had to cut it down to 350 pages but needed to keep the ending the same.  Rating: 3.5 Stars

One Two Buckle My Shoe (or The Patriotic Murders or An Oerdose of Death) (1941) - This is basically a mystery wrapped in a puzzle seasoned with conspiracy and served with a side of red herring.  With a mysterious Greek with ties to espionage and blackmail, the backbone of the British financial structurek, a renowned private detective, and an American anarchist all lurking around the last person anyone expects to be dead is the ordinary dentist..  Yet it is regular ordinary conservative Mr. Morley who lays dead with a bullet to the skull.  Luckily for justice one of his last patients was Hercule Poirot and he is not satisfied with the verdict of suicide.  There's a lot to unwind here and it's an interesting flip on a typical victim.  No one would want to kill Mr. Morley but everyone else around him has more than enough people who would want them dead.  The reader and Poirot come continually back to the one point - why is Mr. Morley dead?  The ending was satisfying and it was fun to see a case that made no sense be suddenly explained.  Rating: 4 Stars


8 comments:

  1. You know, I've never read a Hercule Poirot book! I have read other Agatha Christie books but never these. I was always partial to the Miss Marple books. They reminded me of Murder She Wrote! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's amazing just how many stories she wrote. I think her foreign location mysteries sound very appealing as well, in fact I've been thinking of tackling death on the Nile for some time. I just love the idea of a mystery set in Egypt- and on a river no less!

    I like that cover for Murder in the Mews. And One Two Buckle My Shoe does sound like a puzzler.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the sound of One Two Buckle My Shoe! Appointment with Death sound good too. I will have to see if those are both on my shelf.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I need to make sure I have one of her books for this year's shelf.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really need to make a point to read Christie. These all sound great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I liked One Two Buckle My Shoe, and yes any exoitc location is wonderfully done by Ms. Christie. Now I want to read them all again.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think I'll use your list to go back to read Agatha! Thanks for sharing K!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello, your project looks really great! I had a goal to read everything by Agatha Christie, and finished her Poirot and Miss Marple, but it was before I have started my blog and got totally lost between the stories((

    ReplyDelete