The Broke and the Bookish is a freebie. I've had a lot of fun with Freebies in the past with posts on signs you're in a cozy mystery, a contemporary romance, or a historical romance. Today I thought I'd go with Top Ten Signs You're in an Agatha Christie Novel.
2. You're an older woman with a commanding presence, feel you always know what is right for everyone, and have complete control of the family money. If you're still alive at the beginning you're not going to make it past page 50.
3. You're at an archaeological dig and the head archaeologist insisted on bringing his wife who no one likes and she's intent on causing trouble.
4. You're young and wealthy and it's very important to be modern. You talk a lot about either it be perfectly fine to spend time with your new husband's ex-wife or have a flirtation with another man in front of your husband because you're above all that sticky sentimentality. It's not going to end well.
6. You're about to get on a boat to go out to an island with a strange mix of people who seem to have nothing in common and don't fit what you expected your other guests to look like. Don't get on the boat! You're not going to like what happens next.
7. You're staying in a hotel or on a boat and you either get someone else's suitcase or some strange object is dropped down the air vent. A strange man who may or may not be injured will show up in the middle of night and either be very threatening or need you to hide him.
8. You are in a foreign country for the first time and go out on the balcony to enjoy the night air. While outside you overhear a conversation by two unseen people below. They're planning a murder. It's always a murder never dinner reservations or anything like that.
9. You insist on traveling with expensive and attention catching jewels despite being told by everyone remotely close to you that you really really shouldn't. Double points if you have a soon to be ex-husband and a new boyfriend who is a major gold digger.
10. You are one of 3 or more sisters of whom the majority stayed unmarried. Your father was either a general or a doctor and had a very commanding presence. You are all considered an establishment in the village you live in though your sisters are now dying like flies. Bonus points if you have a servant who commits suicide by drinking hat paint. Double bonus points if you know what hat paint is.
Are you in an Agatha Christie novel? The good news is that you're not guaranteed to be murdered just because you match up with one of these signs. You may end up just being part of the investigation. If you are a murder victim it's most likely going to be quick and not too gruesome. Unless you're unlucky enough to be in one her books where she uses poison as the method of murder.