Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Top Ten Tuesday - My Top Ten All Time Favorites

Today's Top Ten Tuesday topic from The Broke and the Bookish is the Top Ten Books I've Read in the Last 3 Years that are All Time Favorites.

1. Goodnight June by Sarah Jio - I adored this book between the bookstore, the mystery of the past and June trying to figure out what she really wants it had basically everything I love wrapped up into 1 book.

2. The House on Blackberry Hill by Donna Alward - While this book wasn't flawless I thoroughly enjoyed the reading experience.  I still have house envy!

3.  People I Want to Punch in the Throat: Competitive Crafters, Drop-Off Despots, and Other Suburban Scourges by Jen Mann - I've followed Jen Mann's blog of the same name for years but while it was sometimes funny it wasn't a favorite.  It turns out Jen is fantastic in book form.  The only problem is that it's a very specific audience.  But if you've done the volunteer circuit or spent most of your Saturdays at soccer fields than you really must read this book.

4. Burnt Toast Makes You Sing Good: A Memoir of Food and Love from an American Midwest Family by Kathleen Flinn - This was my first book by Flinn but it won't be my last.  The story involving her mother and the rooster still makes me laugh.

5. Jennifer, Gwyneth and Me: The Pursuit of Happiness, One Celebrity at a Time by Rachel Bertsche - This is one I've probably recommended a dozen times since I read it.  This funny and honest book about trying out different celebrities habits was both entertaining and touching.

6. The Forgotten Seamstress by Liz Trenow - So I'm a sucker for mysteries from the past and this one did not disappoint.  This was one of the few books that I've gone into really wanting to love and actually doing so!

7. Delancey: A Man, A Woman, A Restaurant, A Marriage by Molly Wizenberg - I loved Wizenberg's A Homemade Life and I wasn't sure what to expect from this one.  If possible I made have enjoyed this one even more and it made me never EVER want to open a restaurant!

8. The Birds and Other Stories by Daphne du Maurier - I've always loved Rebecca and I've always thought it was creepy but never saw how a book could be truly scary.  Until I read this book.  I'll never look at birds the same way again!

9.  The Tastemakers: Why We're Crazy for Cupcakes but Fed Up with Fondue by David Sax - This is the book I've probably referenced and recommended the most in the last year.  If you're interested at all in food or food trends than you must read this book!

10. The Happiness Project: Or Why I Spent a Year Trying to Sing in the Morning, Clean My Closets, Fight Right, Read Aristotle, and Generally Have More Fun by Gretchen Rubin.- When I finished this book I can definitely say I did not consider Rubin a friend but I did learn so much from this book.  This is one of the few books I've read as an adult that I actually took notes while reading and I still reference those notes periodically.

What book have you read lately that has earned a place on your All Time Favorite list?

25 comments:

  1. Lovely varied list Katherine, the only one I've read is the Liz Trenow, which I enjoyed too. Lots that I hadn't come across before. Goodnight June sounds great, I will look out for that one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you! I loved Goodnight June. It's a nice warm and cozy read!

      Delete
  2. You did have a varied list. Nice job! I love the title on the Jen Mann book. LOL

    I have read other books by Sarah Jio, but not this one. It's on my list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved Jen Mann book! It was spot on in a lot of ways. Goodnight June was the only Jio I've read but I'm really looking forward to reading more.

      Delete
  3. I liked your list and how you left an explanation for each. I'm putting The Forgotten Seamstress on my TBR. Kelley at the road goes ever ever on

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I loved The Forgotten Seamstress and hope you get a chance to read it!

      Delete
  4. I've been on the fence about The Happiness Project for a long time. My husband bought it YEARS ago and neither of us has cracked it open. Guess I should! Have you read her follow-up(s)?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was an interesting book. Even though I didn't love Rubin she really made me think about how I was spending my time. I read the 2nd follow up and was underwhelmed but am looking forward to the 3rd.

      Delete
  5. Holy cow, I haven't read any of these!! I'm glad you have some relatively new favorites!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fascinating list! I've read only one: The Forgotten Seamstress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved The Forgotten Seamstress. I have another one by her and I'm really looking forward to it!

      Delete
  7. I loved Goodnight June too, but its the only one I have read on this list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Goodnight June was so good! I'd love to read more of her books.

      Delete
  8. There are some terrific titles on that list - they make me want to read the books. Actually, I really do want to read The Happiness Project someday. And I will have to check out Goodnight June, since I'm not familiar with it at all. I like your description - bookstore and mystery together? Might be my kind of book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Goodnight June was fantastic. Contrived ending but I lived it. I'd be interested to hear what you think of The Happiness Project. I didn't love the book itself but I loved what I got out of it.

      Delete
  9. I really want to read Goodnight June. Especially having already experienced Jio's writing and really enjoying it. I think it was because of you I started following Jen Mann's blog. :-)

    Great list, Katherine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jen Mann is pretty funny but I think she's even better in book form! I'm really looking forward to reading Jio's latest after your review. You must go get Goodnight June now! It'll give you new appreciation for Goodnight Moon.

      Delete
  10. Yep, I haven't read any of these... Go me! lol

    ReplyDelete
  11. The Jen Mann book sounds great. I was both a school volunteer and a soccer mom, so I should relate. It sounds like the Queen Bees and Wannabees book that I loved. Have you read that one?

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've read one of Sarah Jio's books and I know you're in for a treat!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I haven't heard of any of these, but your summaries have me intrigued! Great list :)
    Shannon @ It Starts At Midnight

    ReplyDelete
  14. I haven't read any of these but they all sound very interesting! The Forgotten Seamstress sounds really good, I'll have to look into it.

    Great list! =)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Burnt Toast Makes You Sing Good is just an awesome title.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I haven't read any of these, Katherine. A great list! So many interesting books.

    ReplyDelete