Thursday, March 5, 2015

Novel Interiors - Review

Novel Interiors: Living in Enchanted Rooms Inspired by Literature by Lisa Bornes Giramonte (author) and Ivan Terestchenko (photographer)

Rating: 3.5 Stars
Source: Blogging for Books

Description:  This of design inspired by books.  It's filled with quotes from L.M. Montgomery to Charles Dickens to Kenneth Grahame and every other author you can think of.

Genre: Non-Fiction
Why I Picked This Book:  It's rooms inspired by books.  How could I resist?

My Impression:
I love anything I can find on home decor but so frequently the houses that are being decorated have soaring ceilings or gigantic rooms or would require a complete house renovation to make happen.  That's not the case with this book.  It focuses more on corners or tables or bookcases or other little scenes that you can easily incorporate into any room you have.  Even the rooms that my house will look like - such as the gorgeous kitchen with the exposed brick has aspects I could add to my own kitchen.  Each page has a quote from a book that has inspired the look.  The chapters are things like Shall I Put the Kettle On, Remembrance of Things Past, and Oh, the Glamour of It All.  There are little sections about things like naming your house, creating the ultimate cozy corner, and the finishing touches.  I really loved that not only were the looks shown for the most part realistic to regular people on a budget but it also made me start thinking of how my books can inspire me.  What do the rooms in my favorite books look like and how can I make my house have a similar feel.  This would be a fabulous coffee or guest room book and would be a fantastic gift for a book lover!

Would I Read More of this Series/Author?: Yes, if it had a similar feel.

Would I Recommend this Book?:  I'm not sure if this is a must have but it is really fun to flip through.

Challenges Met?

20 comments:

  1. Fun! I love to look at interior design books, and this one seems cool with the rooms from books theme. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a fun book to flip through and now I'll be rereading my favorites to look for inspiration!

      Delete
  2. This sounds like my kind of book! And I like what you said about how the rooms and ideas could be incorporated into any home, because who among us can have all the gigantic rooms and soaring ceilings that many magazines, like Architectural Digest, show us?

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I know! I'm always seeing beautiful rooms that are about 6 times bigger than my house. I like that this focused more on vignettes.

      Delete
  3. Oh, this sounds like a fun book. I love looking at what people do with their houses and it's much better if I can imagine I might be able to do some of decorating, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is definitely more doable because it seemed to focus on little areas which would work anywhere.

      Delete
  4. Oh, I would love to see this book! I'm total rubbish at decorating, but I love looking at well-decorated rooms, and the idea of taking inspiration from books really appeals to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you would enjoy this one! It was really fun to flip through. I've got bunches of ideas!

      Delete
  5. I love decorating books! The room on the cover is georgeous. I usually get one decorating inspiration book out of the library every time I go. I will have to look for this one. Thanks for the review. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely look for this one! Even if you're not inspired by the pictures I think you enjoy the quotes scattered throughout.

      Delete
  6. I had my eye on this one. I love the theme of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's definitely worth looking for. I really enjoyed flipping through it.

      Delete
  7. Design inspired by books! It sounds delightful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's fun to flip through even if you don't get any ideas. I think I'll be trying to visualize what the rooms in my favorite books look like!

      Delete
  8. I'd love to flip through this book - it looks gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so pretty! Definitely look for this one!

      Delete
  9. I love the sound of this and what would be better then a home inspired by books. Yes, when I hit the lotto I think I will design a home and decorate it this way..dream big right

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have all kinds of plans for win I win the lotto! Books definitely factor in!

      Delete