Monday, October 27, 2014

Top Ten Books to Read to Get in the Halloween Spirit

This week's Top Ten Tuesday Topic from The Broke and the Bookish is either the Top Ten Books/Movies to get you in a Halloween mood or Top Ten Characters to Dress Up As.  Now since I don't read much fantasy or sci-fi my book characters either dress modern day or 19th century and while I love my characters a hoop skirt for Halloween just isn't happening!

So  here are the Top Ten Books (and 2 movies) I'll be reaching for to get me all nice and spooky feeling!

1.  The Haunting of Hill House by Shirley Jackson
This is a subtly creepy book.  If you go in expecting a horror story I think you'll be disappointed but it's definitely got some eerie creepiness.  Listen to the audio if you get a chance!

2.  The Woman in Black by Susan Hill
I haven't actually read this book but J and I saw it in play form.  Going in we were thinking how scary can a local theater play be?  Answer?  Really really scary!

3.  The Blue Dahlia and the rest of the In the Garden series by Nora Roberts
This is a somewhat darker trilogy from Roberts' with a really creepy ghost.

4.  Ammie, Come Home by Barbara Michaels
I love this classic ghost story from Barbara Michaels.  It's just spooky enough and I love the history mixed in.

5.  Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier
You can't have a spooky book list with out mentioning Rebecca.  Mrs. Danvers anyone?  That scene where the main character runs into Mrs. Danvers in Rebecca's old room gives me goosebumps!


6.  The Birds and Other Stories by Daphne du Maurier
I expected some creepiness since this is by the author of Rebecca and this is a story that inspired Hitchcock's movie of the same name.  This is seriously creepy though!  I haven't been quite comfortable seeing a flock of birds since reading this one.

7.  The Crying Child by Barbara Michaels
Another Barbara Michaels and another ghost story though this features a secluded island in Maine, 2 women yearning for different things and the eerie call of a child in the night.

8.  The Ghost Hunter's series by Victoria Laurie -
This is definitely a little sillier than the previous books but they're still a lot of fun.  MJ and her sidekicks explore some creepy locations and take on an assortment of ghosts.

9.  The Shining -
This is on my list of Stephen King books to try when I get up the courage.  As for now both movie forms I've seen (the Jack Nicholson movie and a mini-series) have definitely made me look over my shoulder and avoid dark hallways!

10. The Amityville Horror - I actually really enjoyed the newer version with Ryan Reynolds though of course the original is good too.

41 comments:

  1. Great choices! Mrs. Danvers is definitely chill inducing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely! She isn't someone I'd want to come across in a dark room!

      Delete
  2. Yea, all those books are WAY to scary for my taste. I'd really like to be able to read Susan Hill's books. But I probably wouldn't sleep for a month if I did.
    I do want to give The Haunting of Hill House a go though. I've seen a really gorgeous cover that I want to pick up. Lol!
    Great list!
    Happy reading!
    Brittany @ This is the Story of My(Reading) Life

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Read Hill House! It's creepy but not super scary.

      Delete
  3. Great list! :) I read Rebecca for the first time this month and I agree that Mrs Danvers is horrid. The Haunting of Hill House and The Woman in Black are brilliant choices, too - I saw the play version of The Woman in Black a few years ago and it was terrifying. As someone who's also read the book I have to say that I actually found the play creepier!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ok good! I'm not sure I could handle the book if it was scarier!

      Delete
  4. Good choices! I forgot about that Nora Roberts ghost in the flower series-she was super creepy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wasn't she! Definitely not a nice lady in white!

      Delete
  5. I keep hearing SO much about The Haunting of Hill House--thanks for the heads up on the audio! That may just be the way that I can get to it more quickly. I was a bit disappointed in The Shining but I think it is because I had just recently read/listened to IT and I loved it. I do have Doctor Sleep on my (virtual) shelf but just can't make myself read it!

    And Yes. Mrs. Danvers. *shudder*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do try Hill House in audio! It's not very long and I think I enjoyed listening more than reading!

      Delete
  6. You should definitely read The Woman in Black. It's the best ghost story ever!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I want to but I'm thinking that will be a middle of the day kind of book!

      Delete
  7. I want to read The Shining so much. I heard it was quite different from the movie, but still just as scary. I might just watch the movie before Halloween comes around.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's on my list too. I'm hoping to get to it one day!

      Delete
  8. I haven't read any of these. I scare way too easily!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really need to read Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier at some point. Maybe for next year's Halloween.

    The orginial Amityville Horror movie was one of the first horror movies I ever saw. I think I was 11 at the time.

    Great list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh you must! Though to be honest I thought The Birds was even scarier!

      Delete
  10. I read Daphne du Marier books including Rebecca many years ago and they were spooky. Also read several of Barbara Michaels' spooky books. I didn't do this TTT because I thought "I don't read scary books." As I've read several people's lists I've read and watched more than I thought...LOL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought I'd have a really hard time with this list too but once I started thinking I came up with a bunch!

      Delete
  11. I love all the books on this list, except The Ghost Hunters, which I'm not familiar with but will check out based on the company they're keeping :). Great recs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's kind of in the paranormal cozy territory. A little silly but lots of fun!

      Delete
  12. Great list, Katherine. It's a nice mix of classics and new-to-me titles. Happy haunting!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nice list. Yes King evokes that feeling of Halloween. I love the Haunted of Hill House too

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm dying to read some of King's books. I've loved the movies I've seen but never tried the books

      Delete
  14. Gah! I haven't read any of the books you mentioned and I still haven't seen the Ryan Reynolds version of The Amityville Horror (but I'm going to se if my library has it). I've seen The Shining once and it just wasn't for me (kinda boring actually) but I love how devoted fans of the movie are :)
    Thanks for stopping by my blog today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually liked the Reynolds version better. It relied more on the psychological than the special effects though I am by no means a big horror movie watcher.

      Delete
  15. These are definitely creepy stories! I'm not good with the horror stories. I can do gothic, but not straight up horror. I am such a lightweight! lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm the same way. Love a good creepy book but not sold on horror!

      Delete
  16. Oh I am such a wuss. I'd be a girlie mess reading most of these I bet. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Barbara Michaels aren't too bad but yeah most of these are on my list of books I don't read while my husband is out if town!

      Delete
  17. Excellent list! So many on there that I still need to read. I think I have an old copy of The Crying Child stashed somewhere. Must find and read!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love The Crying Child! Definitely has major atmosphere!

      Delete
  18. I haven't read any of these yet, I'm too much of a wimp. I do love the movie The Birds though even if it freaks me out. Great list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The book form of The Birds is insane! It scared me to death!

      Delete
  19. Great to see some Daphne du Maurier making the halloween list! I also love the Hitchcock movie of the Birds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love du Maurier though these are the only 2 I've read. I'm really looking forward to reading more of her work.

      Delete
  20. The Haunting of Hill House is one of my favorite books of all time, and I really enjoyed The Woman in Black and Rebecca. I will have to check out The Birds collection though. I read another collection of her's, The Doll, and really enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete