Friday, October 24, 2014

Friday Linkups: The Murder of Roger Ackroyd














*I want to apologize for not being around much today to visit everyone else's links.  I love seeing everyone's answers and book choices but I'm going to be having very minor surgery today and will most likely be out of it for the rest of the day.  I'm looking forward to visiting everyone hopefully tomorrow but definitely in the next few days

It's Friday!  Time to link up with Coffee Addicted Writer for Book Blogger Hop

Question:
You accidentally released ghouls from a novel and they are now running amok.  Which fictional hero (book or film) would you like to help you defeat the ghouls?

My Answer:
I haven't read many ghoul catching books other than Victoria Laurie's Ghost Hunter series and while Heath is not bad I think I'd rather hang out with the ghouls than deal with Gilley.  So, I think I"m going to go a little out of the box and pick Ty Garrison from Jill Shalvis's Lucky Harbor series book Lucky in Love.  He has some crazy military training and I'm thinking he'd be quick on his feet and good in a crisis.  Any ideas for some ghoul hunting books I need to read?

This week's book is The Murder of Roger Ackroyd by Agatha Christie (I know you're shocked).  While until this point Christie had enjoyed moderate success, it was this book that made her famous.  This was the book that got everyone's attention.  Some people accused her of cheating, some people called her brilliant but everyone read it.

The Beginning:
Mrs. Ferrars died on the night of the 16th - 17th September - a Thursday.  I was sent for at eight o'clock on the morning of Friday the 17th.  There was nothing to be done.  She had been dead for some hours.

The 56 (from page 56 of my paperback):
" "No suspicious strangers been hanging about anywhere?"
"Oh!" I said suddenly.
"What is it, doctor?"
"I met a man this evening - just as I was turning out of the gate.  He asked me the way to Fernly Park." "

So what do you think?  Keep reading?

36 comments:

  1. Interesting that this book made Agatha Christie famous! Sounds about right to start out with a death for the first sentence! Thanks for sharing and happy Friday! :)

    Here's my book beginning this week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aah I love Agatha Christie and yet manage to not read anything by her. Clearly I haven't got my priorities in order! I went slightly crazy in my selection of helpers in the ghoul-crisis xD Thanks for sharing :) Hope you have a good weekend! My Friday post
    Juli @ Universe in Words

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope all goes well with the surgery...and thanks for sharing. Agatha Christie is such an icon for mysteries, and I haven't read any of her books! I must rectify that.

    Here's mine: “THE OLEANDER SISTERS”

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Surgery went fine. You really must read Agatha! There's sure to be a book you'd enjoy in her 80+

      Delete
  4. I love the cover and I thing an Agatha Christie mystery is a perfect read in preparation for Halloween. Happy reading and have a lovely weekend.
    My 56

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agatha is definitely great for Halloween! This is one of my favorite cover issues though there's an older set that has a really noir aspect to it.

      Delete
  5. With that opening, who could put the book down? Gotta at least find out how Mrs. Ferrars died. I've watched more movies based on Agatha Christie's books than actually read the books themselves. Guess I should remedy that!
    Hope all goes smoothly with your surgery today.
    My Friday post features Miss Julia Speaks Her Mind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a great book! For the most part the movies are close to the books- especially the Poirot's

      Delete
  6. I do enjoy a great mystery novel, this one looks very alluring; thanks for sharing!

    Here's mine:
    Sparrow’s BB & Friday 56

    ReplyDelete
  7. That quote for the 56% is great! How leading for a mystery novel. Enjoy the story!

    Here's my Friday 56: http://samannelizabeth.wordpress.com/2014/10/24/friday-56-24-oct-2014/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was pretty excited when I realized that quote was on page 56!

      Delete
  8. What an great question. And you know what ... I haven't read any of Agatha Christie's books. I know, I'm a terrible person. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You must fix this! Read one of short story collections at least so I can feel like my job is done!

      Delete
  9. Ooooooo....I LOVE Agatha Christie, and I love that cover.

    A perfect Halloween book.

    ENJOY your weekend.

    Elizabeth
    Silver's Reviews
    My Book Beginnings

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wishing you a speedy recovery!
    Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I hope your surgery went well and you're doing fine.

    I'd definitely keep reading the book. The title is vaguely familiar; I didn't know it was the book that catapulted Christie. Interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm doing pretty well though it's not the instant recovery I want. Patience is not a virtue I possess!
      This is one of her bigger ones but I didn't know this was the one that really made her famous until I did some research!

      Delete
  12. I have never read an Agatha Christie. I think it is time to change that. My Friday Quotes

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hope you are feeling better today. I really need to revisit Agatha Christie. Been years since I read her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I am! I've enjoyed a Christie reread. Her books are so detailed I always find something I missed before.

      Delete
  14. I have read Agatha Christie since I was a teenager and borrowed my Grandmother's books. She was an avid reader too.
    sherry @ fundinmental Friday Memes - Freeblood by Marny Copal

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My grandmother is an avid reader as well. I think that's where I got it!

      Delete
  15. You know, I really need to read more Agatha Christie. Shocking that this mystery fan has read so little, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should definitely read Agatha! Her work (with the occasional exception) is timeless.

      Delete