Friday, October 18, 2024

Friday Five - 5 Classics I Want to Reread


I'm in a list making kind of mood so I thought I'd start making random fve lists.  Sometimes they'll be bookish other weeks not so much.   This week's Top Ten Tuesday topic was about books we were assigned to read.  That got me thinking about some of the books I was assinged to read as a teenager that I'd really like to reread.  I'm sure my perspective now would be pretty different than it was when I was a teenager.


1.  Tess of the D'Urbevilles by Thomas Hardy - I remember this being so sad and I remember loving the writing style. It was probably one of my favorite assigned reading books.   I wonder what I would think of it now.  


2. Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte - At 15 I liked the romance but was bored senseless by all the rest.  I'd like to give this another try and see what I think now.


3.  Their Eyes Were Watching God by Zora Neale Hurston - If I remember right this was the last book we had to read in my senior English class.  I read it and it stuck in my head long enough to take the test and write the paper and then promptly disappeared.  I'd really love to reread this one.



4.  The Awakening by Kate Chopin - I remember liking this and it is one that stuck with me but I think it would hit a bit different if I read it now.


5.  Wide Sargasso Sea by Jean Rhys - I remember almost nothing about it because I read it the very last semester of high school and I had a severe case of senioritis.  I've heard interesting things about this one and would like to read it as an adult - maybe read it after I reread Jane Eyre?

What books were assigned reading in school that you'd like to reread now?

No comments:

Post a Comment