Friday, January 15, 2021

Friday Fives - Five Nonfiction Books I Hope to Read in 2021


I'm taking a bit of a break from my usual Friday Linkups to try something a little different.  I'm in a list making kind of mood so I thought I'd start making random five lists.  Sometimes they'll be bookish other weeks not so much. One of my resolutions for 2021 is to read at least 5 nonfiction books and here are 5 at the top of my list.


1. The $64 Tomato: How One Man Nearly Lost His Sanity, Spent a Fortune and Endured an Existential Crisis in the Quest for the Perfect Garden by William Alexander - This is another used bookstore find that I know nothing about but the title makes me laugh so I'd like to finally give it a try.


2.  The Last Castle: The Epic Story of Love, Loss, and American Royalty in the Nation's Largest Home by Denise Kiernan - We went to the Biltmore years ago and I found the house absolutely fascinating though it was hard to imagine people actually living there.  I'd love to know more about it.


3.  Missing!: Mysterious Cases of People Gone Missing Through the Century by Brenda Z. Guiberson - I'm fascinated by missing persons cases and this one of sounds fun.  It's a Middle Grade which might make this a good read aloud.


4.  The House at Royal Oak by Carol Eron Rizzoli - This is a used bookstore find that has been sitting on my shelf for a couple of years now.  I know nothing about it other then it's about fixing up an old house so I think it's time to read it.


5.  The Devil in the White City by Erik Larson - I have read 2 books from Larson and one I absolutely adored and the other I was kind of meh on so this one will be the tie breaker.

Is there any nonfiction books on your TBR for 2021?

11 comments:

  1. Hi Katherine! The Devil in the White City has been on my TBR for ages. I actually think it's on my Kindle too. I should read more non-fiction as well. I like the book about the people who gone missing - that will intrigue me too!

    Have a good week and I hope you guys are well!

    Elza Reads

    ReplyDelete
  2. We read and discussed Devil In The White City several years ago in our mystery group. I liked it and most others did too. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Missing book sounds cool! I don't really read much nonfiction.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have quite a few naturally since I’m hosting the Nonfiction Reader Challenge, thanks for sharing these titles

    ReplyDelete
  5. All the best with the non-fiction. I always have good intentions but then the fiction takes over. I must look up Biltmore.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have me sold on the book about missing persons and the house at Royal Oak. I'm going to check my used bookstore.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am hoping to read more nonfiction this year as well. You've given me some ideas. I've read Kiernan before and The Last Castle sounds really good.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm curious about Missing! — especially since it's middle grade. I'm trying to read more of those.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really want to read Erik Larson. I am pretty sure that I have one or two of his books on my shelves - I just need to get to them. The $64 Tomato sounds like fun!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sadly no, I haven't targeted any nonfiction for this year. I should at least read one. I usually like food-related memoirs.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I also want to read the $64 Tomato. 🍅

    ReplyDelete