Saturday, November 28, 2020

Curtain - Classic Mystery Review


Rating: Like It
Source: Purchased

Description:  Arthritic and immobilized, Poirot calls on his old friend Captain Hastings to join him at Styles to be the eyes and ears that will feed observations to Poirot's still razor sharp mind. Though aware of the criminal's identity, Poirot will not reveal it to the frustrated Hastings, and dubs the nameless personage 'X'. Already responsible for several murders, X, Poirot warns, is ready to strike again, and the partners must work swiftly to prevent imminent murder.

Poirot’s final case, a mystery which brings him and Hastings back to Styles where they first solved a crime together.

Genre: Mystery - Classic

Why I Picked This Book:  I'm always rereading Agatha Christie's books and it was time for Poirot's final case.

My Impression:  I have such mixed feelings about this book.  While it was the last book that was published while Christie was alive it was written in the 1940s which I feel was really her peak writing time. It's definitely one in which the less you know going in the better.  It's hard not to spoil it but it's worth avoiding full blurbs and anything else if you possibly can.  But I can't say I really enjoy this one - in fact the changes to Hastings and Poirot make me sad.  I don't mind the age - Miss Marple gets very physically frail in her later books and this doesn't bother me in the slightest - but I do mind just how unhappy they seem and their reunion doesn't really seem to make them any happier.  

The mystery itself is cleverly done using Christie's house party trope and a wide variety of characters that seemingly have no connection.  For most of the book I was just as lost as Hastings and chased more then a few red herrings trying to figure out just who the mysterious X really was.  

If you are a Christie fan this is one you cannot miss because it is Poirot's last case but it will never be one I just simply have to reread.    

Would I Read More of this Series/Author?  Christie is probably my favorite author of all time and while this isn't a favorite it doesn't deter me from picking up her book.  

Would I Recommend this Book?  With reservations.  It's a must read for Poirot fans however.  

6 comments:

  1. Hi Katherine! I haven't read Curtain yet. I keep on putting it off. I think I need to do an Agatha Christie year somewhere and just read them all again and then finish of with Curtain. I'm sure it will make me sad as well...

    Hope you guys are well!

    Take care and have a good weekend.

    Elza Reads

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do need to read Christie. Someday, I will. I can understand how you wouldn't like to see characters change like they do in this one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am not a big fan of mystery but I can see how important for a true Christie reader to read this one. What a shame they weren't happier as they aged.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds good! I've loved every book by Christie that I've read so I don't know why I haven't read more.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the cover for this edition. 👏👏👏✨

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is too bad this last one isn't as strong as one would hope. Someday I will re-read all these books!

    ReplyDelete