Wednesday, June 6, 2018

Lowcountry Bookshop + Rockets' Red Glare - Short Cozy Reviews

Goodreads: Lowcountry Bookshop (Liz Talbot #7) by Susan M. Boyer

Description:  Who’s the client? Well, now, therein lies the first puzzle. When the police arrive at the scene of the accident, Poppy Oliver claims she’s only trying to help.

But the dent on the front of her Subaru and the victim’s injuries provoke a certain Charleston police detective’s suspicious nature. A wealthy, anonymous benefactor hires Liz and her partner Nate Andrews to prove Poppy Oliver’s innocence.

What exactly was Poppy Oliver up to? Is she a random good Samaritan who happens upon the accident scene? Or perhaps this tragedy wasn’t an accident. She just might be his abused wife’s accomplice.

Why does everyone involved in this case have a sudden burning urge for reading material, leading them to the same charming bookshop along the waterfront?

My Thoughts:  I love a cozy mystery series where the main character is a PI and Susan M. Boyer's Liz Talbot never disappoints.  I loved seeing how she and Nate worked this case with the added frustration of not knowing who their client was or what they could be possibly hiding.  Pretty much anytime there's a case laid out on a white board I'm completely in!  The mystery was interesting and not one that unraveled quickly.  I really felt this one really showcased Nate and Liz working as a team with undercover work, surveillance, and other fun tricks of the trade.  It also showcased Charleston, South Carolina to the point I want to go on an book my trips - the food, the history, the ghosts all shone and played an important part in the story.  By the end I wanted an order of Fried Green Tomatoes followed by a ghost tour!  This mystery can be easily enjoyed by first time visitors to the world of Liz Talbot's Charleston but the small subplots involving Liz's quirky family and her ghostly friend Colleen might make a bit more sense if you've already met them.    Rating:  Very Good

Goodreads: Rockets' Red Glare (A Tourist Trap Mystery #9.25) by Lynn Cahoon

Description:  South Cove’s local businesses are up in arms after volunteer fire chief Barry Gleason threatens to shut down anyone who doesn’t comply with the fire code. But when Barry schedules a training burn in an old abandoned barn, he is the only one who doesn't come out alive. Jill Gardner—owner of Coffee, Books, and More—smells murder in the ashes. She’ll have to work quickly to nab a killer with a short fuse—or else everyone’s holiday will end with a fizzle . . .

My Thoughts:  The Tourist Trap Mysteries have become one of my favorite cozy mystery and this short novella didn't disappoint.   I enjoyed spending a little time in South Cove and while the novella is fairly short the mystery is well done and doesn't feel rushed.  There are viable suspects, motives, and secrets.  Jill and Greg dance around each other a bit as she tries to get cleared up without being too nosy and he tries to keep her from investigating but it's pretty good natured.  If you're a long time reader of the series you might be a bit thrown off at first as this occurs a few books back and not immediately following book #9.  If you're new to the series this might be a fun one to pick up.  While you won't have the relationship with the characters it's a good mystery and you could get a taste of what life in South Cove is like before beginning the series.  Rating:  Very Good

6 comments:

  1. After seeing Susan Boyer at Malice, I want to try her series. I told about those fans she gave out. Sadly, mine wouldn't fit in the boxes I sent home and I had to leave it behind. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Susan Boyer series is on my list of books I want to read. I do love the Tourist Trap Mysteries by Lynn Cahoon. I just finished Rockets Dead Glare but haven't wrote my review yet. I loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These both sound good and I like the settings of each. Thanks for sharing, I am glad you enjoyed them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like the sound of both of these. I really want to read Lynn Cahoon so this might be a good way to try her work.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's great to get two that you really enjoyed, if I had to pick it would be Lowcountry Bookshop, not just because it has bookshop in the title!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Two cozies I need to add to my to read list! These both sound fun, Katherine.

    ReplyDelete