Saturday, September 26, 2026

Endless Night - Classic Mystery

Goodreads: Endless Night by Agatha Christie

Rating: Really Liked It! (4.5 Stars)
Source: Purchased

Description:
 Gipsy’s Acre was a truly beautiful upland site with views out to sea – and in Michael Rogers it stirred a child-like fantasy. There, amongst the dark fir trees, he planned to build a house, find a girl and live happily ever after. Yet, as he left the village, a shadow of menace hung over the land. For this was the place where accidents happened. Perhaps Michael should have heeded the locals’ warnings: ‘There’s no luck for them as meddles with Gipsy’s Acre.’ Michael Rogers is a man who is about to learn the true meaning of the old saying ‘In my end is my beginning.’

Genre: Mystery - Classic 

Why I Picked This Book:
This was the September Read Christie pick

My Impression: This standalone mystery was published in the late 1960s which is my least favorite period of Christie's books.  However, this one is so much more successful than any of the other books from this time period.  For starters, it has a completely different feel than the usual Christie mystery.  Christie's mysteries are usually straightforward, clean stories that have clues cleverly woven in.  I wouldn't classify her as a particularly atmospheric writer but she is known for being very fair, playing by a set of rules that enable the reader to solve the mystery if they're really paying attention.
This one has an eerie feel and the sense that something else is going on.  It's told by one narrator and while he seems very open and honest we don't have any outside input to truly know.  I don't want to say too much about it because the less known going in the better.  In later interviews Christie herself lists this as one of her favorites and after this reread I can definitely understand why.  

Would I Read More of this Series/Author? Of course!  Next month's book is Sleeping Murder which is one of my favorites so I'm super excited.

Would I Recommend this Book? Yes, though keep in mind that this has a very different feel than the typical Christie book.

No comments:

Post a Comment