Tuesday, May 30, 2023

Top Ten Tuesday - Ten Things That Instantly Make Me NOT Want to Read a Book


Today I'm linking up with Top Ten Tuesday hosted by 
That Artsy Reader Girl which is all about lists.  Since lists are one of my favorite things this is one of my favorite linkups!  Today's topic is Ten Things that Instantly Make Me NOT Want to Read a Book.  I had a good time thinking of things I avoid in books especially after last weeks' topic which got me thinking of things that make me WANT to read a book.


1.  Love triangles -  I don't mind a bit of a love triangle if it is resolved within the book but if it continues for multiple books into the series and both relationships are developing.

2.  Secret babies - I can't stand a secret baby plot - especially in a romance.  Every once in awhile I've seen this work but for the most part I don't even give it a chance.

3.  Children in peril - If there's even a mention of children in peril or worse in the blurb I'm probably going to skip the book.

4.  Animal cruelty - Ditto above.

5.  Heavy angst/drama - I'm pretty nonconfrontational in non-bookish life and lots of drama tends to give me a headache and that seems to carryover to fictional angsty drama.


6.  An Illogical Nemesis - I don't mind if the main character isn't besties with everyone (I usually prefer it) but when the main character is an adult and has a nemesis who acts like a supervillain I'm not a fan.

7.  Covers Controversial topics - This may be a bit of an unpopular opinion but I'm an escapist reader and if a book is covering a topic (either nonfiction or in fictional way) that tends to ruin holiday dinners I'm usually out.

8.  Lots of Violence and Gore - There's a reason I gravitate to cozy mysteries or Agatha Christie style stories.  While I do enjoy a murder mystery I'm not a big fan of in-depth gruesome scenes. 

9.  A Series Where I've Already Disliked a Book - Or an author where the last book I read didn't work for me.  While I'm a big believer in second chances there are too many books out there begging to be read to force myself to read books that aren't working for me.

10.  Super High Page Count - A high page count isn't a deal breaker but I do tend to hesitate before picking up a super long book.  

What things keep you from wanting to read a book?

10 comments:

  1. I do like a fat book now and then but I am in complete agreement about books where there is any animal cruelty or children dying/kidnapped/abused.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well I can agree with many of these. I do avoid some controversial topics. I don't care either way about love triangles and I do read long books if it is something I want to read.

    Anne - Books of My Heart

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love triangles, animal cruelty, gore...those things will make me not want to read a book either. And super long books don't work for me either lately; I'm just too tired. Great TTT list! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not a fan of love triangles either. When I first started blogging I ran into those a lot especially in YA and a little goes a long way. :)

    Not a fan of gruesome either.

    I've always liked Ellery adams' books. Been a while though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with these especially children and animal cruelty. I can't with either of those subjects. I rarely pick up a long book. That's why I never read the Outlander series. Triangles and secret babies are hit and miss.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lots of these are deal breakers for me too, especially some issues I just don't want to explore, but an author I really like I will read a book with a super high page count. Blood and gore and violence if met I just skip.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've started doing TTTs on Instagram and I did covers that make me not want to read a book. 📘

    I agree with children in peril, animal abuse, violence, love triangles, and an illogical nemesis; actually illogical anything, ha ha. I've read a fair few books that have had an illogical premise and that really irks me. 😏

    I've never come across a secret baby storyline, yet, but I don't think I would like it. 🙃

    ReplyDelete
  8. It annoys me that Stephanie Plum is still in the middle of a love triangle after...how many years?!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree with you on a lot of these. Children in peril (especially abusive situations), animals ditto, too much/too gruesome violence, love triangles (for heaven's sake, just pick one of them, or neither!), and heavy angst/drama are all going to turn me away from a book. There are exceptions, but they are rare.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I stopped reading the Stephanie Plum series because of the too long love triangle. So I'm with you on that one. Secret babies are at the top of my list of romance tropes I cannot stand. Same if I know there's going to be animal or child cruelty. I don't have the stomach for gore and violence in books like I used to. I was never a fan of it per say, but I could tolerate it more than I can now. This is a great list, Katherine! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete