Saturday, September 24, 2022

Vanishing Point - Classic Mystery Review

Goodreads: Vanishing Point by Patricia Wentworth

Rating: Really Liked It! (4.5 Stars)
Source:   Purchased

Description:  Nothing much ever seemed to happen in the sleepy village of Hazel Green apart from the occasional tea-party, spiced with local gossip. Until Maggie Bell went out one evening for a breath of fresh air and never came back. Could Maggie's disappearance be linked to security leaks at the nearby Air Ministry? Or is a sinister scheme being hatched closer to home? Miss Silver is called in to solve the mystery just as a second person goes missing ...

Genre: Mystery - Classic

My Impression:  In my previous Patricia Wentworth review I commented on the sameness I was starting to see in the Miss Silver books.  Here it seems that Wentworth was feeling the same as she definitely shook things up a bit in this book.  There are some common factors that do occur frequently in the Miss Silver books.  There's a bit of romance, a small village that Miss Silver happens to have an old school friend who resides there, and a prominent family fallen on hard times.

I don't want to say too much about this one because there are a lot of twists and turns some more unexpected than others.  Miss Silver's involvement was well done and I liked the Maxwell sisters.  This has a little more suspense and intrigue then I've come to expect from the other Miss Silver books.  My only real complaint was that the security leaks at the Air Ministry mentioned in the blurb seemed to be a contrived point to get Miss Silver in the neighborhood and then seemed to be forgotten about until the very end.  When that particular plot point was wrapped up it took me a minute to remember what they were talking about.  

Would I Read More of this Series/Author? Of course!  Miss Silver is one of my favorite detectives and Patricia Wentworth is one of my favorite mystery authors.

Would I Recommend this Book? If you love classic mysteries you should definitely try a Miss Silver book and this is a fun one to start with.  

7 comments:

  1. I just ran to my bookshelf to go and see which Patricia Wentworth books I do have: Latterend, The Listening Eye and something Spot (now I can't remember)... I really do need to start reading her books...

    Have a good weekend Katherine!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've added most of her books to my goodreads account. Next year may be the year of the Wentworth bing reading.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I recall reading a couple of Miss Silver books back when I was a girl and dinosaurs roamed the Earth (so my younger grandson tells me...). It sounds as though it's the cosy kind of mystery that I'd enjoy right now - thank you for sharing, Katherine:).

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've always wanted to read one of these books, but my library doesn't carry any of them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Another author on my wishlist. Eventually I hope to read her books.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't read any of her books, but I've wanted to for a while.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Another Miss Silver winner. Funny that a plot point only getting wrapped at the end and not that much part of the book.

    ReplyDelete