Saturday, January 22, 2022

Nemesis - Classic Mystery Review

Goodreads:  Nemesis by Agatha Christie

Rating: Really Liked It!
Source:   Purchases

Description:  In utter disbelief, Jane Marple read the letter addressed to her from the recently deceased Mr Rafiel - an acquaintance she had met briefly while on vacation in St. Honore, as recounted in "A Caribbean Mystery."

Rafiel had left instructions for her to investigate a crime after his death. The only problem was, he had failed to tell her who was involved or where and when the crime had been committed. It was most intriguing. Soon she is faced with a new crime - the ultimate crime - murder. It seems someone is adamant that past evils remain buried.

Genre: Mystery - Classic


My Impression: While not the last Miss Marple published this is the last Miss Marple Agatha Christie wrote.  I'm usually not the biggest fan of her later books but I believe this is her strongest from the late 1960s/1970s.  This is also one of the only books Christie wrote that is a direct sequel to another book.  We meet Mr. Rafiel in A Caribbean Mystery in Miss Marple's only book outside of England.  The scene from that book that gets referenced in this book is pure brilliance and it's picking up that book just for that (though the rest is pretty great too).  

This is a bit of unusual mystery.  Miss Marple is involved in an almost professional role.  She is essentially hired to investigate instead of being pulled in for various reasons.  As well, she really doesn't know what she's investigating.  It's presented as kind of a you'll know it if you see it situation which has her a bit frustrated and seriously intrigued.

This was a thoroughly enjoyable mystery with a bit of a different feel.  Instead of a dead body being stumbled on Miss Marple is trying to determine just what mystery she's supposed to solve and if it can be solved.  I enjoyed the mystery and seeing Miss Marple a bit out of her element.  As well, I enjoyed seeing her in her home base and especially getting to see Cherry again who was introduced several books ago.  

Would I Read More of this Series/Author?  Of course!  I'll be finishing up Miss Marple this year and am looking forward to my 2022 reading already.

Would I Recommend this Book? Absolutely!  This book and A Caribbean Mystery are both solid interesting mysteries that I think any mystery reader would enjoy

6 comments:

  1. I will share this one with my sister-in-law who loves Agatha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've love every book by her that I've read so I don't know why I don't read them more often! This sounds good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. MIss Marple is my favorite. Wonderful review!

    Anne - Books of My Heart

    ReplyDelete
  4. This book is on my list of favorites by Agatha Christie. I've enjoyed almost all her books, but I have a few that stand out for me. Nemesis and also A Caribbean Mystery are two of those. Glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes for Miss Marple again. I was just reading a small blurb on AG on Facebook, what an interesting life.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really need to read some of Christie's work soon.

    ReplyDelete