Friday, March 13, 2020

Friday Fives - Classic Movies I Want to Watch

I'm taking a bit of a break from my usual Friday Linkups to try something a little different.  Michelle over at Because Reading is Better Than Real Life   used to do a Five on Fridays that I always enjoyed and I've seen a few other variations on the theme.  As well I'm in a list making kind of mood so I thought I'd give start making random five lists.  Sometimes they'll be bookish other weeks not so much.   Life is getting back to normal for us which means I'm hoping to start watching classic movies again.  Here are 5 that are coming up on Turner Classic Movies that I'm looking forward to watching.


1.  I Married a Witch (1942) - This sounds a bit madcap and is about a 300 year old witch who falls in love with a politician and hijinks ensue (I'm assuming).  The real reason I want to see this is because the witch is played by Veronica Lake who I've never seen in a movie before but my grandmother used to compare me to her ALL the time because my hair was always falling in my face.


2.  Jamaica Inn (1939) - I tried to read this book and ended up DNFing it but I love the premise and this is directed by Hitchcock.


3.  White Heat (1949) - I've actually seen this before but Cagney is so brilliant in it I think it needs a rewatch.



4.  Key Largo (1948) - It has Bogard, Bacall, and Edward G Robinson.  It must be watched!


5.  The Postman Always Rings Twice (1946) - Not only does this have John Garfield who is one of my absolute favorite actors but it has Lana Turner who was one of my grandmother's favorite actresses (so much so that I have an aunt whose name was Lana).  I like suspense and this is such a classic  that I feel like I need to watch it. 

What classic movies are on your watch list?

6 comments:

  1. I don't watch a lot of older films really but I did enjoy a few Hitchcock-The Birds, Psycho and especially Dial M For Murder. I liked a few war films like A Bridge Too Far, The Great Escape and more recently Escape from Sobibor. Also liked Seven Samurai, The Green Slime...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Something about classic movies seems like such a treat so TCM is very much appreciated. I've seen The Postman Always Rings Twice and White Heat and loved them. The I married a Witch sounds like fun. My go to faves that I watch quite a bit are Auntie Mame with Rosalind Russell, Gentlemen Prefer Blondes with Marilyn Monroe, Life with Father and Father of the Bride, Adam's Rib and every musical with Fred Astaire or Gene Kelly. Of course, I could go on, but I'll stop there.(lol) Happy Friyay! Hugs, RO

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cute story about you and Veronica Lake! I haven't seen any of those movies so I'm adding them to my list.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We love Casablanca & the original Magnificent 7! I’d like to watch I Married a Witch.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are all ones I haven't seen and I think I should! I love classics!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love I Married a Witch, and Jamaica Inn. 💜 My sister lived with me from when she was 12 until 18, and watching old movies on Sundays was our favorite thing to do. 💙

    ReplyDelete