Wednesday, November 20, 2019

Ten Books Set in New Orleans


I have run away from home and am writing this list after a weekend in New Orleans.  It's been awhile since I've been there but it turns out New Orleans is just the same in its unpredictability.  So today I'm thinking of books set in New Orleans (while, appropriately enough, snacking on a praline bought on Decatur Street).  I'm sure there are a bunch of more serious fiction and nonfiction that are set in the city of craziness but I'm looking at lighter fiction, romance, and mysteries.


1.  Phantom Evil by Heather Graham - I love romantic suspense and this is romantic suspense that takes place in a haunted house right smack in the heart of New Orleans! 

2.  Mumbo Gumbo Murder by Laura Childs - This cozy mystery series that takes place right in the heart of New Orleans always makes me happy and makes me want to try my hand at paper crafting!

3.  Mercy by Julie Garwood - I haven't actually read this author but she's been on my list for ages and I love romantic suspense so how can I resist romantic suspense in New Orleans?

4.  Midnight Bayou by Nora Roberts - This is one of Roberts' creepier romantic suspense but I loved it when I read it the first time and it held up well in a reread so I'm thinking I need another reread.

5.  A Streetcake Named Desire by Jacklyn Brady - This is a cozy series set in a bakery in New Orleans.  And I own at least the first two so I feel like I really should actually read them!


6.  Murder, She Wrote, Murder in a Minor Key by Jessica Fletcher and Donald Bain - It's Jessica Fletcher in New Orleans.  I must read it!

7.  Dinner at Antoine's by Frances Parkinson Keyes - I adore Antoine's but somehow I had never heard of this book which was apparently a huge hit back in 1949.

8.  Iron Lace by Emilie Richards - I love Emilie Richards and somehow I read the second book about this family so I feel like this one set in New Orleans is demanding to be read.

9.  New Orleans Mourning by Julie Smith - I'm about 90% sure I read this years and years ago but I'm not sure and I have no memory of it other then I'm familiar with the title so I say it counts as a new read.

10.  Thigh High by Christina Dodd - Bank robbers in Mardi Gras masks and some romantic suspense!  Yes please!

6 comments:

  1. I've read quite a few books over the years with a New Orleans setting-mostly horror and urban fantasy. Those genres go well with the unpredictable!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tats a good list, come to think of it the only books I’ve read with a New Orleans setting are the Ann Rice vampire books. That was ages ago.

    I’m glad you got away for a much needed break.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My daughter was born in Baton Rouge. When we flew to Louisiana to adopt her, we were planning to spend a day in NOLA sightseeing, but we were able to get her earlier so we spent our whole time in Louisiana either at the hospital or our hotel room. I still haven't seen NOLA! I might just have to read about it instead :) Fun list!

    ReplyDelete
  4. New Orleans always seems to me to be very unique. I enjoyed a three part series that Emilie Richards set in New Orleans at the end of last year I think. One she got ownership rights for it and republished it herself.

    ReplyDelete