Saturday, November 2, 2019

Dance Upon the Air - Keeper Shelf Review

Goodreads: Dance Upon the Air (Three Sisters Island #1) by Nora Roberts

Rating:  Loved It!
Source:  Keeper Shelf (Purchased Years Ago)

Description: When Nell Channing arrives on charming Three Sisters Island, she believes that she's finally found refuge from her abusive husband--and from the terrifying life she fled so desperately eight months ago...
But even in this quiet, peaceful place, Nell never feels entirely at ease. Careful to conceal her true identity, she takes a job as a cook at the local bookstore cafe--and begins to explore her feelings for the island sheriff, Zack Todd. But there is a part of herself she can never reveal to him--for she must continue to guard her secrets if she wants to keep the past at bay. One careless word, one misplaced confidence, and the new life she's created so carefully could shatter completely.

Just as Nell starts to wonder if she'll ever be able to break free of her fear, she realizes that the island suffers under a terrible curse--one that can only be broken by the descendants of the Three Sisters, the witches who settled the island back in 1692. And now, with the help of two other strong, gifted women--and with the nightmares of the past haunting her every step--she must find the power to save her home, her love...and herself...

Genre:  Romance - Contemporary

Why I Picked This Book:  This is an old favorite and it seemed like the time to read an old favorite

My Impression:  This was probably one of the first Nora Roberts books I read right as it came out.  I had just discovered that I enjoyed the romance genre and just discovered Nora Roberts herself when this trilogy came out and I remember scouting them out and devouring the trilogy.  This one was by far my favorite and even after all these years I find it still holds up.  It's a bit dated but most of the datedness shows up in either mentions of technology or fashion.  There's a serious "Sleeping with the Enemy" vibe that's kind of fun and the romance is sweet.

What I really love about the book isn't the suspense or the the romance but the relationships that form between the women and the relationship the main character, Nell develops with herself.  At the beginning Nell is scared of her own shadow, used to keeping people at a distance, and has lost touch with her ability to find happiness in everyday life.  Watching her find herself and develop friendships with the people around her was really just thoroughly nice and made this book a pleasure to read.  My only complaint is this book doesn't include some of the recipes Nell mentions.  They all sound delicious! 

Would I Read More of this Series/Author?  Of course!  Roberts is one of my favorite authors so I'll always pick up her books.

Would I Recommend this Book?  Absolutely!  This is a really sweet romance with a bit of suspense and is a lot of fun.

2 comments:

  1. One I loved way back too. And now you are making me want to read it again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww this sounds like an awesome read!

    ReplyDelete