Wednesday, February 20, 2019

Classic Movies I'm Watching - Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House (1948)


Setting: New York City and the Connecticut countryside

Cast:  
Jim Blandings - Cary Grant
Muriel Blandings - Myrna Loy
Bill Cole - Melvyn Douglas

Premise:  Jim Blandings has a successful career in advertising, a happy family and a way too small apartment in the City.  When a chance conversation at breakfast tempts him into a drive in the Connecticut countryside his life starts spinning out of control.

My Thoughts:  This was a lot of fun.  It's more straight comedy than the over the top almost farce comedies that Grant specializes in.  Anyone who have ever been involved in home buying, building or repair will relate to some of the mayhem and hijinks that occur.  As well the 1940s costs are very entertaining.  Loy and Grant are gorgeous together and Melvyn Douglas's omnipresent narration in the character of family friend and lawyer is hilarious.

Recommend It?  Absolutely!  This is a fun comedy that isn't over the top ridiculous.  It confirms my belief that Cary Grant can do no wrong.

5 comments:

  1. Ooh this sounds good and I've never seen it. Will definitely look for this one to rent or stream. And I can only imagine those '40's prices!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this movie. My sister and I used to watch old movies all the time when she lived with me and this was one of our favorites! Thanks for reminding me about it. 🎥✨

    ReplyDelete
  3. How have I not heard of this?! I will have to watch it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I so agree! We had a blast watching this - especially the room they get stuck in. Lol! Glad you loved it. :)

    Tressa @ Wishful Endings

    ReplyDelete
  5. I will watch this movie any time it comes on because a) I love all of the actors b) it is just so funny and c) can't you just imagine this happening?!

    ReplyDelete