Monday, July 16, 2018

Scandal Above Stairs - Historical Mystery Review


Rating: Very Good
Source: Publisher 

Description:  
Priceless artwork has gone missing from the home of a wealthy baronet, and his wife stands to take the blame. When Kat's employer asks for help in clearing her friend's name, Kat trades her kitchen for the homes of Mayfair's wealthiest families.
Soon antiques are disappearing not only from the extravagant households of connoisseurs and collectors, but from the illustrious British Museum. As the thefts increase in frequency, Kat calls upon her friend Daniel McAdam, who has already set himself up in a pawnshop on the Strand as a seedy receiver of stolen goods. When a man is murdered in the shop, Kat must use all of her wits to see that the thieves are caught and justice is done.

Genre: Mystery - Historical

Why I Picked This Book:
  The first book in this series was one of my top ten favorite reads so far this year.

My Impression:
  This is a bunch of my favorite things wrapped up in one book.  I love historical mysteries, I love likeable characters, I love books where you get a peek behind the scenes, and I love mysteries involving art theft.  Throw in a fast pace and I'm in bookish heaven.

It's always a little scary starting the 2nd book in a series when you loved the first.  What if it doesn't live up to expectations?  This wasn't the case here - if anything I liked this book more!  I was so glad to see more of Lady Cynthia and Mr. Thanos and I thought Tess was an interesting addition to the world of the kitchen.  I found the structure of how a large household fascinating and not something I knew all that much about going in.

The mystery itself captured my interest from the beginning.  While there is a murder about a 1/4 into the book the discussions regarding art theft starts earlier.  There's also the mystery of just what Daniel McAdam is up to and just who is he in the first place which I enjoyed in the first book as well.  The pace is fast without being rushed and the mysteries kept me guessing all through the book.

I love this series.  The characters feel like friends, the setting is fascinating, and the mystery is fast paced and intriguing.   This was just a delight of a book and I'm already excited for the next mystery!

Would I Read More of this Series/Author?
  Absolutely!  I'm anxiously waiting the next book already!

Would I Recommend this Book?
  Definitely!  Even if you're not a big mystery fan I think you'd enjoy this read.

11 comments:

  1. Can't wait for my turn to come from the library, so happy it lived up to the first one and maybe even better. Yes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree! I've really enjoyed both books in the series. Can't wait for another!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been hearing alot about this series. I'll have to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay! I'm so glad this was such a hit. Sometimes second books in a series fall flat, and I'm so glad that wasn't the case. I haven't read this series, but I have read books by Jennifer Ashley and I think she's a really fun writer.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, it's so good! Can't wait for the next one!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am definitely going to have to read this series. I noticed that my library has that my library has the audio so I may end up going that route.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds like a phenomenal series and I can't wait to start it. Plus I haven't read historical fiction or a country house type story in ages seems like! I'm overdue. Lovely cover too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yay - "a delight of a book" is a great rec. Looking forward to reading this one.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love these types of books, too:)). Thank you for a great review and I'm keeping an eye out for this one!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just found the audiobook edition on Hoopla!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This genre isn't my thing, but that cover is gorgeous!✨

    ReplyDelete