Wednesday, October 25, 2017

The Betrayed - Paranormal Romantic Suspense Review

The Betrayed (Krewe of Hunters) by Heather Graham (Amazon link)

Rating: Very Good
Source: NetGalley

Description:  One night, New York FBI agent Aiden Mahoney receives a visitor in a dream--an old friend named Richard Highsmith. The very next day he's sent to Sleepy Hollow because Richard's gone missing there.
Maureen--Mo--Deauville now lives in the historic town and works with her dog, Rollo, to search for missing people. She's actually the one to find Richard?or more precisely his head, stuck on a statue of the legendary Headless Horseman.

Mo and Aiden, a new member of the Krewe of Hunters, the FBI's unit of paranormal investigators, explore both past and present events to figure out who betrayed Richard, who killed him and now wants to kill them, too. As they work together, they discover that they share an unusual trait?the ability to communicate with the dead. They also share an attraction that's as intense as it is unexpected?if they live long enough to enjoy it!

Genre: Romantic Suspense - Paranormal

Why I Picked This Book:  I really like this series adn the blurb definitely caught my attention!

My Impression:  
What I loved:
The history!  I really had never given any thought to the village of Sleepy Hollow but now it is high up on my To Visit list.  I loved the bits about Washington Irving and stories of the Revolutionary War.

The characters - Mo and Aiden were both just nice people and I loved their interaction involving seeing ghosts.  I always love seeing the Krewe work together and the residents of Sleepy Hollow added a bit of fun as well.  Oh and Rollo!  Rollo was my favorite.  I feel like I need to go out and adopt a wolfhound stat!

The mystery - Graham can be a little inconsistent on her mystery quality but this one is one of the best ones I've come across.  The reasons made sense and I was actually surprised at the reveal!

The ghosts - I love ghosts in books and really how can having the ghost of Washington Irving not be a good thing?

What I didn't love:
There wasn't much I didn't love about this one but there was an angle in the investigation that took up some page time that then got dropped and never fully explained.

This was a fast paced enjoyable romantic suspense that leaned heavier on the suspense than the romance.  It was a perfect read for Halloween season and left me with the desire to read The Legend of Sleepy Hollow and visit the village itself!

Would I Read More of this Series/Author?  Absolutely!  While I don't like all her books I'm a big fan of Graham's Krewe series and can never resist the next one.

Would I Recommend this Book?  If you like spooky romantic suspense (heavier on the suspense than the romance) this is a good pick - especially right around Halloween!

9 comments:

  1. Uh oh, as soon as I saw Sleepy Hollow I knew I was in trouble. (lol) I like Heather Graham's writing style when it comes to suspense, and this one sounds interesting. Hugs...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you'll really like this one! It was one of my favorites of her's so far.

      Delete
  2. I so need to get started on this series again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You really should! You're not too far away from this one and the one right before which are two of my favorites.

      Delete
  3. I have to try a Heather Graham book. So good you enjoyed it and got a surprise out of it as well. Makes for happy reading.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're a little spookier than your usual read but I do love how she weaves in the history to her stories.

      Delete
  4. My first thought was "Eep! How did I miss this one?! I always request her books." Then I looked it up and realized it's from before I started reading the series. But now I'll have to get it from the library. Sleepy Hollow... how perfect for Halloween season. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really enjoy this series. While not my favorite books, they are such fun and so addicting! I need to dive back into the series. It's been too long.

    ReplyDelete