The Broke and the Bookish is a Halloween Freebie. I'm not a big horror reader but I do love some spookiness and I LOVE a good ghost. So here are ten of my favorite ghostly characters.
2. In the Garden Trilogy by Nora Roberts - This is a whole other kind of ghost. This isn't a peaceful make an occasional appearance kind of ghost. This ghost is really really not happy and really wants everyone to know it.
3. The Wicked City by Beatriz Williams - There's the ghost of a whole speakeasy in this book. How can you not love that?
4. The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman - These aren't your typical ghosts but the entire book takes place in a graveyard.
5. The Screaming Staircase by Jonathan Stroud - Ghosts are pretty much the primary enemy here and these are definitely not the floating around being spooky kind of ghosts. These ghosts are mean!
6. The House on Blackberry Hill by Donna Alward - This ghost is much happier than the ones above. Well, maybe not happy but not nearly as violent and I loved learning her story.
8. Among the Shadows by L.M. Montgomery - When you think of L.M. Montgomery you don't typically think dark and spooky but this collection of short stories definitely qualifies and there are more than a few ghosts!
9. Vanish with the Rose by Barbara Michaels - I love this book that takes place in old house with lots of roses and lots of secrets. And of course a ghost.
10. The Crying Child by Barbara Michaels - While the ghost above was more of a helpful floating around kind of ghost the one in this book is pretty much the exact opposite. This is more the drive you crazy and convince you to go off a cliff kind of ghost but it was all kinds of fun to read about!
What are some of your favorite books with ghosts?