Thursday, July 7, 2016

Lowcountry Book Club

Lowcountry Book Club (A Liz Talbot Mystery #5) by Susan M. Boyer
Rating: Very Good
Source: NetGalley

Description:  Somebody pushed Shelby Poinsett out her second floor library window and it wasn't her husband. At least that what Charleston's most prestigious law firm wants Liz Talbot to prove.  Liz must run the spectrum of Southern society, from the local homeless shelter where Shelby volunteered to the one-hundred-year-old book club where Charleston's genteel ladies are dying to join, to bring a killer to justice.  (from Goodreads)

Genre: Mystery

Why I Picked This Book:  This is one of my favorite series and I can't resist books that have mentions of books in the title!

My Impression:  When Boyer's last book,  Lowcountry Bordello,  ended we were at Liz and Nate's wedding and while things didn't go as planned I've been looking forward to checking back in with the newlyweds since I finished it.  I was delighted to start this one and see how life was treating Liz and Nate.  I absolutely love that now Nate can see Colleen.  He's not nearly as thrilled about it but it makes for a funny little twist and it makes things a little bit easier since they can both see her now.

The mystery itself was entertaining and solidly done.  We have a murder and an obvious suspect who has no motives and seems genuinely innocent.  As for the victim herself there just doesn't seem to be any reason anyone would want Shelby dead.  I read a lot of mysteries where it seems like everyone had motive and opportunity so I really enjoyed this one that was almost the exact opposite with no real suspects.  I love seeing Nate and Liz work together on an investigation.  I definitely feel like I'm puzzling it all out right along with them.

We get a little further with Colleen's subplot which I very much enjoyed.  Her part in this book isn't quite as large as it seemed in the previous book but we do see quite a bit of her.  I enjoyed watching her drive Nate crazy but it was also interesting to get a little more about her mission.

This has consistently been on of my favorite cozy mystery series and this newest entry did not disappoint.  Liz and Nate are likable and good investigators and I love going along for the ride.  Plus, I absolutely loved all the politics that went along with the 100 year old book club!   This is a series I'll definitely be keeping up with!

Would I Read More of this Series/Author?: Definitely!  Go on and sign me up for the next one!  I really enjoy this series.

Would I Recommend this Book?: Yes!  I think this series as a whole is a great starter cozy.  I think it would appeal to all mystery lovers and would be a good way to explore the cozy sub-genre without getting too cozy.

17 comments:

  1. This sounds like a delightful series and what a cute cover!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the cover too! The whole series has great covers.

      Delete
  2. I love the setting Katherine and that cover is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Boyer does a great job of really bringing the setting to life. I really feel like I've been to Charleston.

      Delete
  3. Being pushed out your library window?! THE HORROR!
    I like the sound of a 100 year old book club. I can just imagine that happening in the South where you can only be invited to join if your grandmother/mother was a member.
    I'm assuming Colleen is a ghost? Lol.
    Sounds like a fun cozy. I actually might check this out from my library sooner rather than later. I need to see why you love cozies so much. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops yes Colleen is the ghost! I was really tired when I wrote this one. I'm going to have to think of some good cozies to send your way!

      Delete
  4. I only read book one, so when I saw it was book 5, I skimmed over your review so I didn't learn too much :)

    I do want to keep reading this series for sure. I had fun with book 1 and the author's style. Thanks for reminding me to keep an eye out for #2. I also recommend this series, folks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you enjoyed it! I know you're not the biggest cozy reader but I agree with you that this a good in between. I can't wait to see what you think of the rest of the series!

      Delete
  5. I am glad this series continues to be such a strong. This sounds like such a great series! I look forward to reading it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a good in between series. Not so cozy that it drifts into cutesy but not so far away from cozy that it has you checking locks. Definitely recommend it!

      Delete
  6. I love that you say it is a good starter cozy series. I have read one or two before but will have to check this series out now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This and Julie Mulhern's series are my favorite intro cozy series and I absolutely love the setting here.

      Delete
  7. I love the sound of this series, I should really get into reading a cozy mystery series through. Possibly something to challenge myself for 2017!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds like a great challenge! I think you'd enjoy this one and it feels like a trip to Charleston for an added bonus.

      Delete
  8. Cozy without getting too cozy ... I could definitely get behind that. I rarely read the genre, but I like that this series is more mystery.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This whole series sounds delightful, and I have no idea why I haven't tried it yet! *bustles off to add it to my Goodreads list*

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love a good mystery and watching it unfold. I have the first one of the series. One day hopefully I'll get there :D

    ReplyDelete