Friday, April 25, 2014

Muzzled - Review

Muzzled by Eileen Brady

Rating: 3 Stars

Description:  Dr. Kate Turner is working as a temporary mobile veterinarian in upstate New York when she stumbles upon what at first appears to be a murder/suicide of 2 dog breeder clients.  When it becomes clear that all is not as it seems Kate is torn between taking care of the animals and keeping herself from becoming the primary suspect.

Genre:  Mystery

My Impression:
Pros:  This is the first book by veterinarian turned author Eileen Brady.  To be honest I expected a somewhat silly cozy mystery with (hopefully not) talking animals.  What I got was a sensible woman who thought out her actions and genuinely cared about the animals she was taking care of.  I found the information regarding her treating the animals really interesting.  While periodically her behavior did dip into busybody mode - asking too many questions from people who had no reason to answer them - it was only when the police weren't investigating.  Since she had actually found the bodies I gave that a pass.

Cons:  The pace started dragging in the middle and I got a bit restless.  I have some knowledge of the dog breeder culture having grown up with agility dogs but if this is completely unfamiliar to you all the talk of breeding and bloodlines might be confusing or seem unrealistic.

Overall Impression:  This was a strong debut novel that featured a fairly unique concept.  I don't think I've ever come across a veterinarian lead character in a mystery before.    While Kate does veer dangerously close to busybody territory this is mostly a well plotted mystery with an interesting lead character.  While I enjoyed it I'm also familiar with the dog breeder/dog show atmosphere and like dogs.  If you're in no way interested in animals than this probably isn't for you.

Would I Read More of this Series/Author?:  Yes

Would I Recommend this Book?:  Yes, to mystery readers who have an interest in animals.

2 comments:

  1. I am trying to think if I've read any mysteries with veterinarian's as the protagonist before. I'm drawing a blank. Cozy comes to mind when I think of animal mysteries, and so it's nice to know this one isn't quite like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This probably qualifies as a cozy but it isn't cutesy which is definitely what comes to my mind in regards to animal mysteries! I was a bit worried we'd face talking animals or a running monologue of what an animal is thinking which is definitely not high up on my list!

      Delete