Thursday, September 5, 2013

Brownies and Broomsticks by Bailey Cates - Review


Brownies and Broomsticks by Bailey Cates

Rating: 3 Stars

Description:  Katie Lightfoot is dumped and unemployed so she moves to Savannah, Georgia to help her aunt and uncle open a bakery.  Things go terribly wrong when an awful woman with a lot of influence is found murdered right outside right after an argument with Katie's Uncle Ben.  To make things worse Ben is the prime and only suspect in the murder.  Also, turns out Katie's aunt is a witch and so is Katie.  Katie must settle in, get a business of the ground, keep her uncle from being framed for murder and figure out the whole witchcraft thing.

Genre:  Mystery

My Impression:  I like the setting and feel of this book.  The food was talked about enough without it being a primer on how to bake things where someone happened to die.  Katie is likable as our most of the other characters though I'm not too sold on the love triangle thing.  It reminded me a little to much of early Janet Evanovich's with the straight laced cop (in this case firefighter) and mysterious rebel.  I also liked that the police weren't total idiots and Katie generally had a decent reason for doing something stupid.  It was light and fluffy and enjoyable but not something I thought about when I wasn't reading it.

Would I Read More of this Series/Author?:   Yes, this was fun enough that I'm interested to see where the series goes and how the characters develop.

Would I Recommend this Book?:  Probably not.  While it was a fun read it wasn't a standout.

No comments:

Post a Comment