Saturday, August 24, 2013

How to Moon a Cat - Review

How to Moon a Cat by Rebecca M. Hale

Rating: 2 Stars

Description:  I don't even know where to begin.  When the unnamed main character discovers her cat Rupert is digging out little bundles of cash followed by a stuffed bear with a California state flag she knows they are clues left by her late (maybe) Uncle Oscar.  Uncle Oscar (potentially) died 2 books ago and left the main character his antique store and apartment above.  This leads to a scavenger hunt/bike race opening road trip with her crazy neighbor Monty.  This is all done while hauling main character's 2 cats around in a stroller.  There are an assortment of characters from previous books, 2 frogs with mustaches and hairless mouse with a green jacket.  Also, in addition to the thoughts and dreams of the cats, we also get to hear what the bricks of a particular building are observing and the moon makes random appearances to check on things.  Oh, and the smell of fried chicken shows up pretty much constantly

Genre: Mystery - far into the Cozy genre

My Impression:  When my older kids were younger we used to play these Nancy Drew computer games all together.  They were also overly-complicated puzzles that had to be worked through to solve some crazy crime.  We always had a lot of fun with them.  When I read the first book in this series it really reminded me of those games.  There's no murder, even the dead Uncle may or may not be dead.  The mysteries are normally history driven and involve some historical research.  All and all a lot of fun with a serious touch of crazy.  I enjoyed the second book less than the first and the 3rd even less.  The previous books have a huge cast list and they were all back in this book with almost no refresher course in who they were.  I spent most of the book completely confused.

Would I Read More of this Series/Author?: Actually yes.  I've read 3 so far and I really want to see how this all works out.

Would I Recommend this Book?:  Definitely not this one and would be hesitant on recommending the series.

No comments:

Post a Comment