Wednesday, July 29, 2026

Reading What I Love - The Librarians


The last few years I've made a list of 10 books - 5 books off my shelf, 5 books from the library - that I'm really wanting to read.  There's no real rhyme or reason.  I just go through my library list and my shelves and pick the books that are calling to me.  My focus in 2026 is reading books I think I'll love - or at least really enjoy.


Goodreads:  The Librarians by Sherry Thomas

Blurb:  Sometimes a workplace isn’t just a workplace but a place of safety, understanding, and acceptance. And sometimes murder threatens the sanctity of that beloved refuge....
In the leafy suburbs of Austin, Texas, a small branch library welcomes the public every day of the week. But the patrons who love the helpful, unobtrusive staff and leave rave reviews on Yelp don’t always realize that their librarians are human, too.

Hazel flees halfway across the world for what she hopes will be a new beginning. Jonathan, a six-foot-four former college football player, has never fit in anywhere else. Astrid tries to forget her heartbreak by immersing herself in work, but the man who ghosted her six months ago is back, promising trouble. And Sophie, who has the most to lose, maintains a careful and respectful distance from her coworkers, but soon that won't be enough anymore.

When two patrons turn up dead after the library’s inaugural murder mystery–themed game night, the librarians’ quiet routines come crashing down. Something sinister has stirred, something that threatens every single one of them. And the only way the librarians can save the library—and themselves—is to let go of their secrets, trust one another, and band together....

All in a day’s work.

Why I Think I'll Love This One: Librarians solving crimes - what's not to love. Plus, I've enjoyed other books by this author in the past.  

My Thoughts: I wanted this one to be an absolute winner for me but unfortunately it just wasn't.  I trudged through the first half seriously considering DNFing it.  I didn't care about the characters or what happened to them.  There's nothing particular bookish about them other than that they work in a library.   I am glad I stuck with it.  I really enjoyed the ending.  The characters developed in ways I really enjoyed (especially Astrid and Hazel) and I liked seeing them work together.  The ending was pretty dramatic and definitely kept me turning pages.  Even when I wasn't enjoying the story itself the author's writing style has a nice flow to it that kept my attention even when I wasn't looking forward to picking up the book.  The first half I'd rate 2 stars while the last half I'd rate 4.  The author's writing style gives this an extra half star.  My Rating:  Liked It! (3.5 Stars)

9 comments:

  1. This sounds interesting despite the slow first half, thanks for sharing your thoughts

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was drawn to this one because of the setting outside Austin and the librarian characters. But now I think I will pass.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the meme. Interesting books will turn up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was really unusual but I enjoyed it. The characters are individuals.

    Anne - Books of My Heart

    ReplyDelete
  5. Katherine, I completely get what you said about your reading experience with The Librarians. And I agree with it. I have really enjoyed Sherry Thomas' Lady Sherlock series and got to meet her at an event last year. Think I've said that the neighborhood library described in The Librarians, set in Austin, TX, was based on the library where I worked for many years. Sherry lives in our area and visited that branch and got to know about all the 'secrets' - ha! Anyway, she got the setting, both of the library, the area, and Austin, spot on. Just perfect. No, I haven't worked with any library staff that was like the characters - ha! I came to like it more as I continued to read it. I will say it won't be my favorite of her books, but I had a good time seeing a setting that I knew so well be part of a book. I have encouraged people to try it and also to try her Lady Sherlock mysteries.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It can be off putting when the first half of the book is not what you hoped and yet you did hang in there and rewarded with the second half. I'll pass though!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good to know the ending made this one worth the time. I've got it on my TBR list, but have hesitated because of so many low ratings. But I do love the premise.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have had this same type of reading experience with a lot of newer books lately, where I said I was glad I stuck with the story, but I always think about what one of my college lit professors said... that if you are reading a genre you love, and the author hasn't grabbed you in the first thirty pages, they haven't done their job. 📖

    ReplyDelete