Tuesday, March 26, 2019

Top Ten Tuesday - Ten Favorite Audio Books

Today's Top Ten Tuesday topic from That Artsy Reader Girl is an Audio Freebie.  So I'm talking about my favorite audio books.  Not my favorite books that I happened to listen to but books where the audio really enhanced the book - made me love it even more!


1. The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows - The multiple narrators really brought this book alive.  I think I would have enjoyed it in print form but it was extra special in audio.

2.  A Week in Winter by Maeve Binchy - Pretty much the same thing as above.  I really loved this one and while I think I would've loved it regardless of format it was another one I loved a little extra because I listened to it.

3.  Scrappy Little Nobody by Anna Kendrick - This was funny and interesting but Anna Kendrick's performance really made it laugh out loud funny. 

4.  The Child by Fiona Barton - This was a good thriller but I loved the different POVs with the different narrators really kept me hooked.

5.  Chitty Chitty Bang Bang Rides Again by Frank Cottrell Boyce - Honestly this book wasn't nearly as good as Ian Fleming's original book but David Tennant did the narration and really he should narrate all children's books.


6.  The Chillbury Ladies' Choir by Jennifer Ryan - Another multiple POV with multiple narrators.  I laughed I cried and I absolutely loved this book but I think it really connected with me through the audio.

7.  Matilda by Roald Dahl - I think I would have loved this book if I had read it but it's hard to imagine it beating the Kate Winslett narration.

8.  In a Dark Dark Wood by Ruth Ware - Imogen Church should do all thriller narration.  Her voice makes everything more suspenseful. 

9.  As You Wish: Inconceivable Tales from the Making of The Princess Bride by Cary Elwes - I think this would be fine to read but you'd be missing so much by not listening to it.  All the different actors who participate in this audio book really make it extra special.

10. Let's Pretend This Never Happened by Jenny Lawson - I read this first and enjoyed it but adding in Jenny Lawson's narration makes it extra hilarious.

What are some of your favorite audio books?

14 comments:

  1. As You Wish is one I still need to read! And Chitty Chitty Bang Bang Rides again just sounds fun. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. David Tennant seems to be a super narrator because everyone raves about the How to Train Your Dragon books he did. I would also love to listen to the Matilda book! 🎧✨

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes to The Guernsey one. I DNFed the book but liked the audio quite a bit. I also enjoyed Ina Dark Dark Wood, the Anna Kendrik book and both Jenny Lawsons on audio.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a couple of Roald Dahl audio books-Fantastic Mr Fox and James and the Giant Peach and they were fun to listen to!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have you seen the Netflix adaptation of The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Society yet? I'm curious to hear what you think of it if you have!

    My Top Ten Tuesday post.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Multiple pov's really work, delighted to see Chilbury Ladies on your list - loved it too. I have the book of a Week in Winter but... the audio of it just might tempt me!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think I want to reread A Week in Winter on audio now.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The Ramona Quimby collection rocks!!! And every Harry Potter book read by Jim Dale is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's a great list. I've been having trouble with audio books as far as fiction books go. I do better with non-fiction books.

    ReplyDelete
  10. All these books sound so good especially as audiobooks. I'm going to try to find them as audiobooks. I love the sound of so many of these! This is a great list, Katherine!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I loved the Guernsey book and the Chilbury Ladies Choir too. Anything by Binchy!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yes, As You Wish was brilliant on audiobook!

    Lauren @ Always Me

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've not tried any of them but I have the first on ebook. We'll see how that goes then maybe a jump to audio :)

    ReplyDelete