Monday, August 21, 2017
Ramblings from the Stacks - Pet Peeves
2. Too many coincidences - Occasional coincidences happen but when huge pivotal parts of the plot turn on a conversation you happened to overhear or a newspaper that happened to be left out than it's hard to keep my eyes from rolling.
3. No explanation with the reveal - I love a good why mystery and the why usually interests me as much as the who so when the reveal is basically "this guy did it" I'm very unhappy!
4. The killer was not mentioned in the book - This drives me crazy! I read a mystery once where the night manager of this hotel was the killer which is all well and good but the night manager was mentioned precisely once and only in his capacity as a night manager. That's just cheating!
2. Cheating - Nope just nope. Don't care if you're about to break up with your girlfriend or boyfriend or haven't done anything if a romance starts in anyway shape or form when they're in relationships with other people I'm out.
3. Holding on to romance/grudges from high school - I don't understand it! Granted I've been out of high school way longer than a lot of the main characters in a romance but still! No part of me wants to be the person I was in high school and that includes not having a deep longing for past relationships
A multi-show story arc - I tend to watch crime shows (NCIS, CSI, etc) where the show starts with a dead body and ends with an arrest. I can handle a plot taking a couple of shows to flesh out the story but if it gets more than that I'm out. My main issue is that when a plot goes more than a few shows the plot gets really convoluted, the characters go crazy, or you end up with an arch-nemesis and I hate those!
In Real Life
People who leave shopping carts in the middle of the parking lot - This drives me CRAZY! The only exception to this if a shopping cart is pushed out of the way in the handicapped parking area.
I could go on but I think I should stop now! I'm going to go drink some calming tea and do some yoga. Turns out I'm not nearly as relaxed as I thought I was! What are your pet peeves?