Tuesday, February 7, 2017

Top Ten Tuesday - Ten Books I Wish Had More/Less X

This Week's Top Ten Tuesday topic from The Broke and the Bookish is Ten Books I Wish Had More/Less X in them.  There aren't ten books that I wish all had more of the same thing in them but there are definitely 10 books I've read that I wish had more or less something in them so I thought I'd break this down book by book!

1.  A Book I Wish Had More Ghosts in Them

The Wicked City by Beatriz Williams - I really enjoyed this dual timeline book but for the timeline set in present day I wanted more ghosts and I wanted them to realize it was ghosts way earlier!

2.  A Book I Wish Had a Little Less Chaos

Teetotaled by Maia Chance - I love Lola, the heroine of Chance's 1920s era cozy mystery series, and enjoy watching her adventures and mishaps but I could have used a mishap or two less in this book.

3.  A Book I Wish Had a LOT Less Pages

Little Women by Louisa May Alcott - I know this is probably an unpopular opinion but while I loved Eight Cousins by Alcott Little Women was not a favorite.  I could have used waayy less of it.

4.  A Book I Wish Was a Little Spookier

Thornyhold by Mary Stewart - I really expected this book to be spooky.  There's witches and an old house with unknown nooks and crannies but instead it was kind of sweet.  I mean it was a good read and all but it just was not what I expected!

5.  A Book I Wish Had Way Less Boat

Nobody But You by Jill Shalvis - I love Jill Shalvis really I do.  Her contemporary romance stories are basically guaranteed fun and I always enjoy them but my review for 3/4 of this book could be wrapped up in one sentence - "Just sell the boat Sophie!"

6.  A Book I Wish Had More History

Nine Lives by Wendy Corsi Staub - This may be because I'm a massive history nerd but while I really enjoyed Nine Lives I really wanted more history of the setting - Lily Dale, famous for its' psychics, spiritualists and who knows what else.  I would have loved it if the plot had more about the history of the place.

7.  A Book I Wish Made More Sense

Through the Looking Glass by Lewis Carroll - Maybe it's because I didn't read these books as a child but I was not a fan of Alice in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass.  While I could at least follow along with Alice reading Through the Looking Glass was like reading someone describing their dream for 100+ pages and then just coming to a stop.  I have no idea what was going on.

8.  A Book I Wish Had More Books in the Series

The Beekeeper's Ball by Susan Wiggs - This has all the indications that there's going to be another book.  It's listed as #2 in a series, there's hints of a mystery that are discovered right at the end of this book and a new character appears who seems to have no other purpose than to be the main character in the third book.  But is there a third book??  No there is not and it's been YEARS.  I'm still hoping though!

9.  A Book I Wish Had More of the Side Characters

Fudge and Jury by Ellie Alexander  - I love this cozy mystery series set around a bakery in a theater town in Oregon and I really love the world Alexander has created but I wanted more of the side characters in this latest book!  We only see them occasionally and I wanted more!

10.  A Book I Wish Had Less Characters and Subplots

Lovers and Newcomers by Rosie Thomas - I loved Iris and Ruby by Thomas and really wanted to love this one as well.  While I liked it it just had so many characters who all had so much history and baggage that it was hard not to get a little lost.

So those are my more or lesses!  Anything you wished some recent books have had more or less of?

19 comments:

  1. Great list. I have not read any of these. lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great list! As I read eveyone's posts I realize I made this really hard on myself by trying to come up with one theme of more for all 10 books. I haven't read Fudge and Jury, but I really get waht you mean about side characters. I have a lot of books where I love the side characters and wish we got more of them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. THORNYHOLD is not one of my favorite Mary Stewart books. You might try TOUCH NOT THE CAT. Hers are not really all that spooky anyway, more romantic suspense. Now Victoria Holt also did romantic suspense but you might try BRIDE OF PENDORRIC by her. And Barbara Michaels did ghosts and ghoulies in abundance - AMMIE, COME HOME; HOUSE OF MANY SHADOWS; THE CRYING CHILD; and THE WALKER IN SHADOWS. Just suggestions. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beekeper's Ball sounds good. Interesting list! I'm a traditionalist--I love huge books, so Little Women was ok for me. But many of my friends agree with you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always want more ghosts! And I understand what you mean about the boat in Nobody but You. I love how you tweaked the topic this week. I struggled a lot coming up with something.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love how you broke this down. The Jill Shalvis one made me laugh!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've wanted to see side characters a few times as well in cozies, sometimes they're the quirkiest and most interesting part of the story! And I think I'd feel much the same about Carroll's stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love Little Women as a story ... BUT it's one of those that I'd rather watch as a movie for the very reason you mentioned :) My TTT

    ReplyDelete
  9. Interesting list. I've been wanting to read The Wicked City.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh wow, totally agree about the Wiggs series. I enjoyed the first two and would love to see the third!

    ReplyDelete
  11. A great list! I know what you mean about Thornycroft - I have a theory that she had written a paranormal story, but some editor/publisher decreed there had to be a love interest in there, which I think sounds very grafted onto it. Her children's book The Little Broomstick is one of my all-time favourite reads - it's a gem.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hmm what is Susan Wiggs writing? So I went off to see but doesn't look like the next Bella Vista which I too want! There is a comment on her post asking but no reply. In The Wicked City I wish there was more link up from one era to the next with things that sort of just got brushed aside.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the Alice books, but I totally see what you mean. :)

    Lauren @ Always Me

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've not read the "Wonderland" books, but if they're anything like the films, I get how them making more sense is a great notion. I'm never sure of their message either!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Nice list. I'd say you have it pretty well rounded out.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great list! I do have to admit that I kinds of liked Sophie and her boat in Nobody But You :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a great list, Katherine! I haven't read any of the books you mention, but several are ones I want to read. I wonder if I'll feel the same way.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ha ha, yeah, Alice sure does have freaky adventures. I did much better with the audiobooks, you should try that. XD

    ReplyDelete