Thursday, January 5, 2017

Sanctuary Island - Review

Sanctuary Island by Lily Everett (Amazon Link)
Rating: 3.5 Stars
Source: Library

Description:  When Ella's sister decides to reunite with their estranged mother, Ella goes along for the ride - it's always been the two Preston girls against the world.  But Sanctuary Island, a tiny refuge for wild horses tucked off the Atlantic coast, is more inviting than she ever imagined.  And it holds more than one last opportunity to repair their broken family - if Ella can open her carefully guarded heart, there is also the chance for new beginnings.
Grady Wilkes is a handyman who can fix anything...except the scars of his own past.  When she accepts the task of showing Ella the simple beauties of the island that healed him, he discovers a deep sense of comfort he thought he'd lost.  But now he must convince the woman who never intended to stay that on Sanctuary Island, anything is possible - forgiving past mistakes, rediscovering the simple joys of life, and maybe even falling in love (Goodreads)

Genre: Fiction/Romance

Why I Picked This Book: Honestly the cover.  It's pretty and peaceful looking and when I saw it on the library shelf I decided to give it a try.

My Impression: If I had to describe this book in one word that word would be "healing". The characters - Jo, Grady, Ella, and Merry - have all had rough times in there past and all are in various stages of healing.  I really loved how openly Ella's childhood is discussed and how Jo isn't painted as misunderstood or given excuses and she doesn't make excuses for herself.  I loved that the first meeting between her and Ella wasn't instantly rainbows and unicorns but took a little while to develop.  I also enjoyed watching Grady and Ella's relationship develop.  The relationships are really lovely and the setting is beautiful.  Sanctuary Island sounds like a beautiful place to visit and I fully intend to come back for Merry's story.
That being said, while Ella's reactions were realistic that didn't necessarily make her likable and I had a hard time really connecting to her.  Grady also felt a little one note and I would've liked to learn a little bit more about him than just his scars.  I was far more interested in the side characters - especially Merry and Ben - than I was in the main two.
While this wasn't my favorite romance I did enjoy it and the setting alone is worth revisiting.  This won't be my last visit to Sanctuary Island.

Would I Read More of this Series/Author?: Yes, I really liked Merry's character and want to see more of her and Sanctuary Island as a whole.

Would I Recommend this Book?:  If you like romance/women's fiction this was a good read and I think this is a good setup for the series.

11 comments:

  1. I agree, this cover is very peaceful. I think I would struggle with this one, though. I hate when I get really annoyed with the main characters.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That does look like a peaceful read. Love the setting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds really interesting. You're right about the cover, gorgeous! Glad you liked it for the most part, and that the setting was enough to keep you in it :) Nice review.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I did like this and went on to read more. I did get invited to read and review the two latest, but didn't not because I didn't want to read the books but because I am reading slower this year without too much pressure of review books otherwise I would have gone ahead. It hurt, but the line has to be drawn somewhere!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Peaceful is exactly the right word.
    Too bad the book wasn't all you hoped for. But hey, a quick romance is always an okay. Right?
    At least you got to meet some side characters that have you anticipating their story!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oops. Didn't mean to delete it, just add to it. LOL I love the cover too. And the story sounds wonderful. I enjoy ones that allow me to relax and go with the flow.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't think I've seen hers before. Hard when you aren't totally there with a character but sounds like some good potential!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The setting appeals to me so I'll add the title to my To Read list. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have read the second and third books in this series but somehow missed the first one. I do enjoy the setting of the island with the wild horses and everything. I will have to go back and read this one soon. Great review!

    ReplyDelete